Re potting a larger ficus tree question

Reaction score
As you can see from the picture, we have a rather large ficus in our window sill that is long overdue for a re potting. The roots are circling the top under the small river rocks,
one is a quarter inch in diameter.
I know this isn't exactly a bonsai, but it started out with the large trunk and stood about a foot and a half from the base of the pot when we got it, it's now three feet tall.
It seems to like it's location and rarely has yellow leaves. I water it with two glasses of water every Sunday, but if I forget by a few days, the yellow leaves start showing up.
The blue pot next to it is what I want to put it in(the picture is misleading, the pots are the same height and I would guess it's got about 25% more volume).
My question is how much of the roots can I trim off during the replanting process? I've read about 20% but I don't want to kill the poor thing by over doing it.
Also, should I trim back the branches at the same time. I would prefer not to given we like it shape, but I'm not sure if both are supposed to be done at the same time.
It's been in it's original pot for probably seven years, so I'm not looking forward to finding out how root bound it is when the repotting takes place.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Jack

ficus.JPG

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That is a very healthy looking tree, if it is acclimated to your conditions I would repot and prune heavy at the same time if it is your warm season.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd pluck up the old leaves and expose some buds I'm the interior, keep them healthy during winter then cut it back hard and Repot in the summer.

Welcome to Crazy!

You can leave 20%!

Sorce

Reaction score
Nope, winter here in Oregon. But this is an indoor plant only, sits in the kitchen bay window where it has sat since
we brought it home. It has never showed signs of stress over it's location in seven years. Morning sun from the east and
full spectrum can lights over the lid on the bay window on all day long. Average temp this time of year is 68 degrees in the kitchen.
So it's never got cold hibernation thing going on.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Without seeing the root ball, I would guess it will drop some leaves after you root prune. Ideally you would remove all the roots that are just spiraling in circles but since it's been several years...

Also logistics wise, you'll have a hard time getting it out of your proposed new pot since it's narrower at the top.

Reaction score
Without seeing the root ball, I would guess it will drop some leaves after you root prune. Ideally you would remove all the roots that are just spiraling in circles but since it's been several years...

Also logistics wise, you'll have a hard time getting it out of your proposed new pot since it's narrower at the top.
Yeah, not looking forward to what the root ball looks like.
The new pot has a slightly narrower top, bad angle on the picture.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most ficus are close to bomb proof. They will take huge root reduction in their stride at the right time of year - as mentioned that is when the tree is actively growing, usually late spring through to mid summer. I have no problem removing 50%-80% of roots on the ficus I grow here.
It is also high time to trim the top. Regular trimming promotes more new shoots and a compact canopy with lots of ramification.

Trees that are healthy respond better to both pruning and root pruning. No mention of any fertilizer but ficus love food. I would be feeding regularly through to spring and renewed growth surge then repot and prune the top back by around1/3.

Top Bottom