Re-potting trident maple

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hey everyone! I just got a 2 year old trident maple that is still in a very small starter pot. When is the best time to repot? Right after leaves start popping?? Or before??

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Any time before leaves appear is OK. Traditionally, just as the buds are swelling but before they open and show green but there is actually quite a lot of lattitude depending on your climate, skills, care and how much root you remove.
I have done radical root reduction and bare root on trident maples with leaves open and in full growth mode. They usually drop all the leaves but soon bud up and start growing again. In my area I can root prune tridents right from leaf drop through to spring with no obvious effect on the trees.
Buds just starting to open - even up to the stage the tiny leaves have appeared and are starting to expand seems to be OK here too.
You may need to be wary of freezing weather after repot. I don't have that experience but I understand that new roots are vulnerable after repot.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yea Its far too cold outside for ant of my trees (-8 last night). But I have an LED grow light that is currently supporting all of my clipping from last year and my pomegranate. I was thinking I could repot and get it started under the light. The buds on it are already starting to pop majorly.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yea Its far too cold outside for ant of my trees (-8 last night). But I have an LED grow light that is currently supporting all of my clipping from last year and my pomegranate. I was thinking I could repot and get it started under the light. The buds on it are already starting to pop majorly.

If your temps are still that low, I would not repot unless you had greenhouse pr something that stays around 30°F.
Personally not a fan of starting a plant after a repot and winter indoors, but I have only ever grown seedlings indoor.

Top Bottom