Re-sized and added a level to my soil sifter

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The frames were larger than they needed to be, so I cut them down. I added a 1/8” screen - I was keeping the 1/16” particles in my mix because of the climate here, but I may leave it out for some of my trees.
F2C4CEC0-5878-49D6-891E-24F44DC4379B.jpeg
By the way, if you order a new window for your house, make a table out of the shipping crate! I had some unused 5” wheels from a previous project. They make it real easy to move the table around.
6782DA0F-DFF4-4252-8048-E407F9CCAB5F.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The frames were larger than they needed to be, so I cut them down. I added a 1/8” screen - I was keeping the 1/16” particles in my mix because of the climate here, but I may leave it out for some of my trees.
View attachment 230221
By the way, if you order a new window for your house, make a table out of the shipping crate! I had some unused 5” wheels from a previous project. They make it real easy to move the table around.
View attachment 230220

Love it!

S

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice, I built a very similar design in my attempt to ripoff the infamous Mirai soil sifter. Except mine has longer boards on the bottom level that extend out into handles as opposed to the handles you attached. Yours looks better built than mine but mine served me very well last year and hopefully it will again this spring.

The one problem I need to fix is that by the end of sifting season last year I was getting some slipping between the levels but was able to manage it with a temporary fix of wedging a very thin piece of wood between the two levels. I only have latches between the levels... so I’m not surprised they started slipping eventually. I’m wondering what are the metal pieces you have securing the levels together and how are they attached?

Can post a pic of mine after this snow storm passes. Thanks, lookin good.

Ps. Mine is named the “Get Sifty 3,000”

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice, I built a very similar design in my attempt to ripoff the infamous Mirai soil sifter. Except mine has longer boards on the bottom level that extend out into handles as opposed to the handles you attached. Yours looks better built than mine but mine served me very well last year and hopefully it will again this spring.

The one problem I need to fix is that by the end of sifting season last year I was getting some slipping between the levels but was able to manage it with a temporary fix of wedging a very thin piece of wood between the two levels. I only have latches between the levels... so I’m not surprised they started slipping eventually. I’m wondering what are the metal pieces you have securing the levels together and how are they attached?

Can post a pic of mine after this snow storm passes. Thanks, lookin good.

Ps. Mine is named the “Get Sifty 3,000”
They’re corner braces from Home Depot (I think 1.5”). They’re only attached to the tops of the bottom two levels, to secure the next level up, when it’s dropped into place. The handles aren’t even necessary. The 2X4’s make good hand-holds.

Top Bottom