Re-wiring the Pregnant spruce

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The Pregnant spruce is a hefty Englemann I bought from Natures Way during a Norbilly trip with fellow Norbilly larchman David Severson. It was a western collected tree--probably from Mr. Knight. It is quite blue and my wife has always wanted me to have a blue spruce so I went for it. It does have a flaw in that it has a bulging gall formation on its trunk--but I don't care--I liked it. Its foliage is far out but it is B-budding pretty well. It had been wired when I got earlier by some traveling pro--I don't remember who. Nothing dramatic--very sprucy. Anyway It was digging in and needed some thinning so I got it done a couple weeks ago--and some preliminary carving, which will need a lot more.

Attachments

• pregnant spruce before wire-2015.jpg
    pregnant spruce before wire-2015.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 117
  • pregnant spruce wired fall 2015.jpg
    pregnant spruce wired fall 2015.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 113

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Really nice tree. I actually like the bulge - reminds me of a tree that got caught in one too many ice storms when it was younger...

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
thats a decent trunk, jin and shari to make for nice tree, cool

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's looking nice (and i don't see a buldge), but i think the big yin is breaking the style (it's a another movement then the rest of the tree and also pretty thick, if that was a big (fat) old broken branch it would even be further bend down).

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I didnt notice the bulge until you mentioned it, going to be a nice natural looking tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The baby woke up and chewed the bulge off?

I don't see it at all!

I do see a nice tree with a wang jin!
Schwing!

Sorce

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I didnt notice the bulge until you mentioned it, going to be a nice natural looking tree.
Its there but hidden due to angle

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It (the bulge) becomes irrelevant as the dead wood is developed. If you have to point something out you only have a problem if you are dealing with someone looking for faults. I think the tree has great potential in your hands.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The whole dead wood thing is up in the air (the twist in the branch is carved in--my gut says it will come off)--I started to search for the edges of the dead bark on the trunk and was a tentative to get aggressive--the withdrawing sap made it hard for me to tell whats dead or alive and I thought maybe when its growing harder next year I will more easily find the edges--the dead trunk bark seems pretty extensive.

Top Bottom