RE: WTB Satsuki Azalea Thread

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can someone throw a little education on me about why the Japanese Cultivar Azaleas are much more expensive than their American counterparts? For the most part, when not in flower they are indistinguishable from one another (and we’re supposed to remove the buds and not let them flower according to many). Now I know Satsuki, Kurume, Kirishima, Hirado, etc all sound impressive but other than that what’s the deal?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Smaller leaves, later bloom, more/different blooms. That said, they aren't really that much more on the West Coast. It may just be supply and demand.

But otherwise I'd say they are like Japanese Maple cultivars. Why more expensive? Because people will pay. I've seen some Japanese cultivars going for big money at one location, when you can seek them out (with a little footwork) at another location for a lot less.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Smaller leaves, later bloom, more/different blooms. That said, they aren't really that much more on the West Coast. It may just be supply and demand.

But otherwise I'd say they are like Japanese Maple cultivars. Why more expensive? Because people will pay. I've seen some Japanese cultivars going for big money at one location, when you can seek them out (with a little footwork) at another location for a lot less.

I have a couple Encores with small leaves. $12.95 in a 3 gallon pot with about a 4 inch nebari. Maybe I just got lucky. As you say "people will pay"... Thanks.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well you are luckier than I am when it comes to finding azalea with single trunks of any size above an inch at a box store.

Brian

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Leaf size and growth patterns have a lot to do with it. But the flower color, size, style and rarity really impacts the price. Most American hybrids are designed to be grown as landscape accent plants and leaf size and growth patterns are not what you would select if you were developing a hybrid for bonsai. You can make them into bonsai, and you can make good bonsai out of them. You just won't have the cooperation of the plant. Its really no different than making a bonsai out of a tree like a sugar maple. Sure, you can do it.

Azaleas are also a collector item like koi, orchids, etc. etc. etc. They are engineered to consistently produce flowers with specific size, color, pattern. Once engineered to be consistent, they are developed to create the supply. That does not happen for 99 cents.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Leaf size and growth patterns have a lot to do with it. But the flower color, size, style and rarity really impacts the price. Most American hybrids are designed to be grown as landscape accent plants and leaf size and growth patterns are not what you would select if you were developing a hybrid for bonsai. You can make them into bonsai, and you can make good bonsai out of them. You just won't have the cooperation of the plant. Its really no different than making a bonsai out of a tree like a sugar maple. Sure, you can do it.

Azaleas are also a collector item like koi, orchids, etc. etc. etc. They are engineered to consistently produce flowers with specific size, color, pattern. Once engineered to be consistent, they are developed to create the supply. That does not happen for 99 cents.

Very good explanation. Thank you.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well you are luckier than I am when it comes to finding azalea with single trunks of any size above an inch at a box store.

Brian

Well, to be fair, I've been cherry-picking a mom-and-pop that has some older ones. I'll post some photos next year when their a little farther along.

Top Bottom