Reaally small princess persimmon

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I was able to get these two from a dude that has these for him from a batch of seeds a couple of years ago.

They weren't cheap... Sadly and they are not flowering and don't know if male or female.

IMG-20171217-WA0071.jpg

IMG-20171217-WA0072.jpg
At least I was able to get these, a variety I had been searching for ages, they are bendable. No seeds of the batch I bought last year sprouted.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
plant that baby in the ground and watch it explode!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yep, probably going in the ground in winter next year.

I am trying to see if there is a way to identify if male or female at the time using @Bonsainut image here

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, probably going in the ground in winter next year.

I am trying to see if there is a way to identify if male or female at the time using @Bonsainut image here

You won't know for certain until they do flower. Fortunately, they can flower when less than 10 years old. I've had D. virginiana flower at 6 years from seed. Yours already have the first several years out of the way.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You won't know for certain until they do flower. Fortunately, they can flower when less than 10 years old. I've had D. virginiana flower at 6 years from seed. Yours already have the first several years out of the way.
Only time will tell...

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Next time you get seeds, buy in bulk if you didn’t last time. Schumacher and Sheffield Seed are reputable.

Cold stratify 3 months and do a 24ish hour warm soak in 10-20% hydrogen peroxide / 80-90% water. I used to do this on stove top in a huge pot of water. Now I use the knockoff yeti mugs. I had almost 100% germination on a pound of seed last time.

Seedlings are usually 90% male.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
If you buy a 10 pack of seeds off eBay, they are likely old. Vendor is probably making like $0.40 USD per package so they don’t care about quality.

You can venture into Alibaba at your own risk and buy bare-root from China. Last time I did, they swore I was getting Diospyros rhombifolia, and sent me what appears to be something like ‘Giant Fuyu’ D. kaki grafted (high) onto seedlings : /.

You only need one female plant to create tons of generations. Princess persimmon can be grown from cuttings, root cuttings, air layer, water sprouts, etc

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
no living plant will pass the border... so I just have to bet on my odds.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So they have grown a bit... not much...
I will plant them in the ground this year.
Do they layer well?
Do root cuttings keep ago (for flowering)?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is this a female flower???
20201002_113216.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-120930_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-120930_WhatsApp.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 5

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The world is full of big bonsai. Little ones are fun, too.

Top Bottom