Ready for Fall

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot one today. My thermometer is on a post under my patio. My temp gauge says 112. Weather channel says 107 today. I have checked my thermometer with my BBQ temp probe and found it to be very accurate.

8 shohin elms I keep on a shelf mounted to my fence. I keep these in direct sun 24/7. As long as I keep them watered they love it.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_00101.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is crazy hot. I am sweating my b...s off and its only 86 here. It amazes me that you can keep bonsai and shows how diligent you are.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Been in the 90s here, but honestly not bad. My trees all show new growth and its not been so beastly that I can't have a pipe after work on my back porch. Gonna be hot this weekend, but will hopefully cool down by Thursday next week in time for a workshop Im attending led by Andy from Golden Arrow.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is crazy hot. I am sweating my b...s off and its only 86 here. It amazes me that you can keep bonsai and shows how diligent you are.
yea...there was a smart ass remark about a juniper I posted yesterday. I only have three to five junipers that I take care of. The two I posted are the only shohin. I do not buy them anymore. They are just too hard to keep here. Not for the reason you might think. They grow too good here. Hot and dry. As long as they are watered well they like it here. problem is they are just to hard to manage here in the summer. The growth grows too fast and gets shaggy very quickly. Lots of brown needles to contend with and the best junipers like Shimpaku and Itowigawa lose density and get lanky. My two shohin junipers look best in February. Thats when the highs are about 60 for the day. They slow down a lot then, but they never stop growing.

There are not many people that can grow bonsai in a desert like this and keep tridents looking un-burnt all summer.

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_00141.JPG

DSC_00121.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just think how good it would be if I fixed the shade cloth?????

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried but I can't hold on to the damn staple gun

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees I will be selling later this year. I will post better pictures later but I wanted to have some pics with leaves on them. These trees will be sold bare root, mossed bagged and shipped. Just too heavy to ship some of these with pots, and the pots are crap except two I wish to keep. If there were to be a tree with pot I don't want, and your willing to pay shipping I will send it that way.

I do have three trident clumps that are pretty nice and I will evaluate those after leaf fall. I want to check them out and make sure there is not something I might wish to keep. They are all from seed and all are very nicely grafted together at the base.

1. trident 13 inches tall just shy of 3 inches at trunk.
DSC_0019.JPG

2. Trident 15 inches tall over 3 inches at trunk
DSC_0020.JPG

3. Acer Pal. 16 inches tall 3.75 at trunk
DSC_0021.JPG

4. Acer Pal. 16 inches tall 2.5 inches at trunk
DSC_0022.JPG

5. Trident 5 tree clump. 10 inches tall largest trunk is about 1 inch and they all vary like a clump should.
DSC_0023.JPG

6. Trident 14 inches tall 3 inches at trunk.DSC_0024.JPG

Has dead apex but a new leader is started.
DSC_0026.JPG

7. Procumbens juniper about 22 inches tall 3/4 inch at trunk
DSC_0027.JPG

8. Cotoneaster about 18 inches tall about 3/8 inch at trunk
DSC_0029.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9. Acer Pal 7 inches tall 1.25 at trunk. I really wish to keep this pot for sure.
DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

10. Elm 6 inches tall 1 inch at trunk I grew these last two when I did the neagari exposed root elms. From the same root ball.
DSC_0030.JPG

11. Elm 6 inches tall 1 inch at trunk
DSC_0031.JPG

The stock!!!!!

1.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some trees here are just starting to change color.

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Smoke, what age do you start to see that beautiful grey on tridents?

Top Bottom