Real life fused plate nebari

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've always thought that wide fused mass of nebari often seen on some maple bonsai looks artificial and excessive, (eg. this hideous mass
img_4807.jpg
) but I ran across this beech tree in a cemetery yesterday and I think this is a nice natural example of what the dinner plate nebari are trying to imitate. Just wanted to share as inspiration to imitate nature with a little more restraint.20171010_160126.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've seen this a couple times irl before but I don't really care for it in bonsai. Nice beach tree

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've always thought that wide fused mass of nebari often seen on some maple bonsai looks artificial and excessive, (eg. this hideous mass
img_4807.jpg
At some point, the emphasis shifts to a demonstration of the grower’s horticultural ability, the mastery of the medium. This certainly can be appreciated; not for natural beauty, but for the grower’s skill. Very few people can successfully grow that “hideous mass”.

Last edited:

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Natural always has a better look to it, I'm nota fan of the melted bases in a pot. Looks silly and sloppy imho. Id rather see a small slew of leader roots and ramifications off them reaching down

Top Bottom