real name vs. pseudonym

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
=PaulStokes;1408]*yawn*
-Paul

Hey there Boon. . . You and I have been here before.

Yes. this topic has happened in the past, If I remember correctly, I did an online search using your name and got your address and phone number. Didn't I call you at 2am to prove my point?

Last edited:

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
You did.
I am not afraid of some one stealing my identity. Let them have it, it wont get them far. . .lol

Good talking with you again.
-Paul

nsmar4211

Sapling
Reaction score
I use my nickname because I'm willing to bet I'm the only nsmar4211 out there. However, there are tons of Susan Marsh's out there. If your name is John Smith, Big Cheesy Tree makes you easier to id :).
And I've had issues with people thinking I was a different Susan......what a pain. Nope, just me :).

Susan and crew
www.susanszoocrew.com

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hmmmm. This was interesting to say the least. Sorry, I did not mean to stir the pot. I was just thinking out loud. Seems there are a lot of people concerned over privacy and safety. I suppose that's a good thing, one that has never really crossed my mind. I'm going to go home now and lock my doors and windows, shred my mail, lock up my important files and stop buying stuff on the net with my credit cards.

Thanks for a healthy dose of paranoia!

Attachments

• nahas2-5-1.jpg
    nahas2-5-1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 23

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
As has been pointed out before the use of pseudonyms, in my retched, of little importance, opinion, often are an excuse to be nasty and argumentative in a way you would not be, if identified by your real name. It is in some respects a lot like the a cyber version of road rage where by you can feel comfortable in verbally flipping someone off and have the assurance that only a few know for sure who you are. There is a kind of feeling of anonymity, real or imagined, that allows, and in some cases encourages this kind of behavior. I remember the day when Garden Web used only real names and it was an active and pretty decent place to visit. Then it went to the pseudonym policy and things got nasty almost immediately.

Personally, and this applies only to my way of thinking for me, If I can't say what I say using my own name being held responsible as who I am, then I shouldn't say it at all. I think real names bring a degree of civility. But who am I?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone who knows me and my online presence knows I have always been bonsaikc. When I first joined the online world, it was my first email and still is. I am registered here and elsewhere with my real name. But I still like hearing Victrinia call me Kaycee.

Anyone who knows me and my online presence knows that I have always been unafraid to say anything that comes to mind, for good or ill. The screen name has nothing to do with it. I'm a rough old cob and admit as much.

I have been cracked any number of times for using a pseudonym. I don't care. I will always be me and always be bonsaikc. Everyone who cares and a few who don't know who I am.

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'll jump in here too, I guess.

(Just got on this forum for the first time today - thanks Brent and Jason for the recomendation.)

I've been cbobgo since back in the gardenweb days. my email address is cbobgo@gmail. My licence plate on my car would say cbobgo if it didn't cost extra money (tightwad). On the internet, that's who I am. Pretty much everyone knows that its me, as in most forums my sig links to my blog (yes I know it hasn't been updated for a long time.)

So for me, I like screen names, I think they are fun. Remember heymikey? I smiled everytime I saw his name on a post. Still smile when I think about him. A good screen name can tell you alot about a person. Since we can't see each other, it's sometimes all we have to go on for a first impression.

Yes, there are people who have missused screen names (curious that some of the people opposing them were actually the ones missusing them) but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

So, I feel that folks should use them if you want to, don't if you don't want to, and don't give the people on the other side of the aisle a hard time for believing a little differently than you do. (You in the general sence, I am speaking to no one in particular.)

- bob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been known by many names too, some not so nice, my better half calls me sweet cheeks, but it'll be a cold day in Hades before I post as such. ;)

I have to agree with Vance that in many cases people who use a false name are more apt to misbehave and speak ill of others, after all, they can just be someone else the next time. I read an article somewhere once about people using false names and avatars on-line and why, something about fantasy and living an alter-ego, it made it easier for them to slip into a persona that they projected on-line...something like that anyhow.

Each has the right to do as they feel is needed, as for myself, I'll use my real name in conversation, forums, articles, etc. If you don't agree with me, then it is Will Heath you disagree with, if you do, then it's still Will Heath, and when we meet and you look me in the eye, I'll say, I'm Will Heath, please to meet you.

I speak from experience, I used to post under the name of BadByte, a name that I used way back before the Internet existed as we know it, just bulletin boards, no pictures, and flaming wasn't heard of yet and hacking wasn't defacing web pages.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to agree with Vance that in many cases people who use a false name are more apt to misbehave and speak ill of others, after all, they can just be someone else the next time. I read an article somewhere once about people using false names and avatars on-line and why, something about fantasy and living an alter-ego, it made it easier for them to slip into a persona that they projected on-line...something like that anyhow.
Will

That's especially true if the person in question is using a false pseudonym and multiple user names simply to bolster their own position or cause trouble on a site. I would agree it would take a pretty bad character to pull something like that. It would take a very weak self-image to have to pull that stuff. But that kind of thing can get one banned.

However, I think that the typical screen name user is just using a nickname they like. I probably should have used something more appropriate to my life...like Brainiac or Lothario or something.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's especially true if the person in question is using a false pseudonym and multiple user names simply to bolster their own position or cause trouble on a site. I would agree it would take a pretty bad character to pull something like that. It would take a very weak self-image to have to pull that stuff. But that kind of thing can get one banned.
I imagine so. I don't know anyone who was banned for that, do you?

However, I think that the typical screen name user is just using a nickname they like. I probably should have used something more appropriate to my life...like Brainiac or Lothario or something.
Yes, we all have the right to project any image we please, true or false, that is the fun of it all, I imagine. :)

As I have stated, everyone has the right to do and feel as they please, I choose not to use a false name and I am just voicing my own opinion here on this matter, as have others. Not directing my thoughts at anyone, just sticking to the conversation.

Will

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
real names or screen names.... who cares? I will behave no differently either way.

Well boondock - apparently you care. Look at your signature of protest. Couple that with the next comment in your signature on censorship and your protest avatar. What gives dude?

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Great thread Graydon.
I have (and still do) use a screen name in other places. Usually it's a member of the rednek family...
idum rednek or his sister ima or shezza.
But for some reason, when I first joined the online bonsai community, I didn't feel the need to hide who I was.
I'm registered as myself on every bonsasi forum I've joined. I guess it has something to do with feeling (for the most part) that bonsai people have to be basicly good people and there is no need for me to insulate myself behind a screen name.

I have no problem at all with folks who want to use a screen name.... To each his own. I don't judge someone by the name they use. It's the substance of their posts that tell me who they are.
Jay

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone who knows me and my online presence knows I have always been bonsaikc. When I first joined the online world, it was my first email and still is. I am registered here and elsewhere with my real name. But I still like hearing Victrinia call me Kaycee.

KC... I will never call you anything but... on the phone or otherwise... :D

I have a nick I use on occassion... it all depends on the mood I am in when registering... Sabine. It's a name I took on when I did period recreation, and a good many people only know me by that name. And like Tom... I too will often sign with Victrinia at the bottom of the post as often as not. Depends on who I am talking to. And in chat... it's always Vic-something... again it depends on who I am talking too... though Vicious is always my favorite... (It was my Firefighter nick... I earned it... lol)

My work had me interacting with the elderly for many years... we could write a book on how it was pronounced over the years... I still get a chuckle when I think about it. My secretary used to give me lists of how it would be said... (grin)

Kind regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Victrinia,
You are always such a positive addition to anyplace you go!

BonsaiNinja

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm not a nut case!

...I geuss theres nut cases
everywhere...

Oh yeah! I'll Show you a nut case! I just bought 30 new trees with your credit card!

Just kiddin,
I use BonsaiNinja because...i dont know...i just like it. I wish it was my real name.

But i am not trying to hide anything. Michael Turntine is my real name. And it is listed at AoB. You wont find any posts there by me though, as I feel I have nothing meaningful to contribute to most of them. I use the site mainly for my own education.

Mike

Reaction score
USDA Zone
.as I feel I have nothing meaningful to contribute to most of them

Mike, everyone has something meaningful to contribute to any forum if they think about a subject with an open mind and a level head. In example, your statement about using a site for your own education was very, well, wise. I try to learn something new every day and most times, I do. Not all of what I learn is from the masters, some of what I learn comes from the untainted eyes of a novice.

Unlike Wiley Coyote, I don't have the word "genius" embossed on my business card, instead I have there word "student" there.

Beep Beep ;)

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only those proven to be a genius are allowed to engrave "Genius" on their card. Many of us choose not to do so.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only those proven to be a genius are allowed to engrave "Genius" on their card. Many of us choose not to do so.

Card, website, whatever. Wiley Coyote certainly wasn't a genius by any standards, but his card said so. The point is anyone can make a claim and even back up such with some score from some test or by membership to some club. True proof comes from results, from actions, not from self proclamation.

Ah the fallacy of an high IQ without the common sense to use it wisely. My cousin has a Mensa qualifying IQ and has accomplished nothing in his life. He does however refer to it 18 or 19 times a day, I guess it gives him something to talk about.

One of my mentors has an IQ just over 70, he'll be retiring next year at the ripe old age of 37 leaving behind three successful business, and two published books.

What is genius? A set IQ score which varies depending on the test? I won't even get in to the testing bias, that has been fully covered in many studies, I will say that many of the greatest minds in history wouldn't of been Mensa members.

For the record, there are literally thousands of Mensa members who never mention it, and thousands more who just don't give a hoot. Not to mention a hundred or more more savants who excel in a single area but would never score high on the Mensa test.

Here's my new IQ test, respond to this thread in the next 15 years and you are a genius, nothing else needed. Engrave your cards today! ;)

Will

Top Bottom