Real Quick Trident Maple Air Layer Question

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I thought I’d seen this or a similar question asked on here but I can’t find it! I’m sure I must be going mad!

Anyway, my quick question. I set some air layers on my trident maple clump earlier this year; two have taken and two have failed. Each branch (now trunk) is about 4ft-5ft tall, about 1/2”-3/4” thick; foliage is relatively sparse; root mass about the size of a ladies hand. With us approaching mid summer and a lesser demand for the roots to supply water to the leaves and shoots, is it ok to leave the height untouched? Or should I reduce the height of these down to 1ft-2ft? There are not a lot of leaves on either layer (I can photograph if this helps with a decision).

These layers were not set because I already had “small trees” ready developed on the ends of the branches that I wanted to sever. At the moment, they are just 5ft stems.

Thanks all

Andy

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pictures

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would chop those tall layers when I cut them off the parent. I know leaves fuel growth but tridents are really good at growing new shoots and roots so will be fine with a trunk chop. 4-5 ft tall trunks are going to be a real problem to secure in pots so shortening the trunks will help reduce root damage by the trunks moving in the new pots.

Top Bottom