Really enjoying winter carving !

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Here are a couple of trees I have been carving on to pass the time of winter .
Species include : crêpe myrtle , Yaupon holly , Chickasaw crêpe myrtle ( Cascade )& morning star magnolia .
Inside the hollows I use a flat black paint mixed with lime sulfur and water .
On the outside I brush on a mixture of ash and water and let dry .
And then I paint on a layer of lime sulfur and water .D37EC280-F78B-4658-8186-0757DEB4C13B.jpegAADF7B56-486B-4A7C-93E0-1BB8FFBF1C68.jpeg A2F2A094-9426-4D39-A4F8-A0C1FCA88A14.jpegD3CEF055-AAD5-4174-BBB0-9DD4EEFA90D7.jpeg E269CA03-BB64-4916-A591-0B3A29790049.jpeg2A0A0ED4-B3D9-4AEE-90E3-993FC37EFF9C.jpeg A14EBD09-7EF4-43E8-AA86-01E0EFBB23DE.jpeg0960B3B3-CFDF-4ECA-8D59-E966FD15E999.jpeg 8AFFF5DD-C3C2-4F7B-B1AB-0059CD017267.jpegC5C79758-9CE5-4762-BC92-3F4C4BD5ADD9.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not taking anything away from your carving skills.... but try carving a tree once with hand tools and compare the difference.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great to me. I have 3 I'm gonna try this winter. Thanks for sharing.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are a couple of trees I have been carving on to pass the time of winter .
Species include : crêpe myrtle , Yaupon holly , Chickasaw crêpe myrtle ( Cascade )& morning star magnolia .
Inside the hollows I use a flat black paint mixed with lime sulfur and water .
On the outside I brush on a mixture of ash and water and let dry .
And then I paint on a layer of lime sulfur and water .View attachment 171977View attachment 171978 View attachment 171979View attachment 171980 View attachment 171981View attachment 171982 View attachment 171983View attachment 171984 View attachment 171985View attachment 171986
You are obviously putting in the time and practise to progress. Great time of year to work on carving.
I have used India Ink with good results for the ageing effect if you are interested in trying a variation. If you want to try smoothing some cut marks, Festool make some great little curved edge tools that are not very expensive. (Home Depot) I have also tried a different technique on the branch scars, take a shingle nail and tap it into the end of the cut multiple times about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. Use needle nose pliers or strong tweezers to pull out some fibers randomly. When aged and wire brushed, looks like natural decay. This hemlock had a large branch low down on the larger trunk pointing directly forward until removal and treating. just another idea. It is still a bit dark from recent work, but i expect it to fade in the sun this summer. There is a smaller one above on the same trunk that shows the effect of missing fibres more clearly at this stage. Just some thoughts to play with.

Attachments

• Twin Trunk Mt. Hemlock Nov17.jpg
    Twin Trunk Mt. Hemlock Nov17.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 45

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great looking work. A very pleasant way to kill a few hours this time of the year.

Not taking anything away from your carving skills.... but try carving a tree once with hand tools and compare the difference.

I think it depends on the look you are going for. I feel power carving is appropriate for broadleaf trees.

In my area most dead wood on broadleaf trees in nature is a very temporary feature. You are more likely to find hollows where branches or part of the trunk has died. The edges have lost their crispness from rot.

Power carving can give you the more rounded look found in nature. It looks very much like what the OP has created.

For conifers the dead wood lasts much longer so it retains the crispness. I think it is more appropriate to use hand tools and tear along the grain. This can be done after the power carving has been completed.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
You are obviously putting in the time and practise to progress. Great time of year to work on carving.
I have used India Ink with good results for the ageing effect if you are interested in trying a variation. If you want to try smoothing some cut marks, Festool make some great little curved edge tools that are not very expensive. (Home Depot) I have also tried a different technique on the branch scars, take a shingle nail and tap it into the end of the cut multiple times about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. Use needle nose pliers or strong tweezers to pull out some fibers randomly. When aged and wire brushed, looks like natural decay. This hemlock had a large branch low down on the larger trunk pointing directly forward until removal and treating. just another idea. It is still a bit dark from recent work, but i expect it to fade in the sun this summer. There is a smaller one above on the same trunk that shows the effect of missing fibres more clearly at this stage. Just some thoughts to play with.[/QUOTE
I like it !

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
I use some handtools to get different effects but 90 percent of the time I’m using my Dremel .
In my opinion hand tools put too much stress on the trees root system .

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You know, even if you chewed them off I like the work no matter the method. A god result, good show!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have also tried a different technique on the branch scars, take a shingle nail and tap it into the end of the cut multiple times about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. Use needle nose pliers or strong tweezers to pull out some fibers randomly. When aged and wire brushed, looks like natural decay.
That shingle nail process is a good idea. I have not yet tried that....but I can visualize it working very well. I’ll give it a try soon.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
That shingle nail process is a good idea. I have not yet tried that....but I can visualize it working very well. I’ll give it a try soon.
I as well like the shingle nail idea !
I’ll be trying it out soon

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice work on the carving. In particular, I really like the carving you’ve done on that cascade trunk....the cascade tree stump sitting on top of the gray Craftsman plastic box. Looks like something I’ve seen in an old forest where trees have fallen and regrowth begins from unexpected places. Mighty fine work!

Top Bottom