Really? I mean REALLY??!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm feeling a little controversial tonight. This picture actually makes me sad and embarrased for the tree and the hobby. It's about how I feel when I see a show-poodle all clipped, poofed and ribboned, prancing around a show arena. Given this tree, I swear I would hack at it unmercifully and free it from it's humiliation. I know.....I know.....different strokes, but REALLY?!!

1623546568378.png

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm feeling a little controversial tonight. This picture actually makes me sad and embarrased for the tree and the hobby. It's about how I feel when I see a show-poodle all clipped, poofed and ribboned, prancing around a show arena. Given this tree, I swear I would hack at it unmercifully and free it from it's humiliation. I know.....I know.....different strokes, but REALLY?!!

View attachment 380419
I believe in one of his videos he admitted that it was heavily manicured during this styling. Then he went on to describe that this was done so that they could be more hands off and have it look more natural in a future rendition. Trying to find it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel you.

It's also quite mesmerizing.

That Jin is dope, is there anything else!?

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

View attachment 380419nn
Nice picture of Bjorn though.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is why I don't have or want junipers. Someone do me a favor maybe? Pics of junipers with the deadwood AND foliage with a more natural presentation would be amazing.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When the impressionist masters (Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, etc.) initially tried to exhibit their paintings, the establishment ridiculed them and rejected their works from the Salon exhibits. The name "Impressionist" was an epithet, a jab at them to essentially label their works as not "real" art. The status quo of the establishment was that realism was the only game in town. Ultimately and inevitably, the establishment lost that argument. Of course Impressionist paintings were art! Some of them were great art.

What's the difference between a Realist painting and an Impressionist one? The principal difference is abstraction. Realism tries to faithfully create the look of a real world scene (or an imagined scene of real world surroundings) whereas Impressionism is disinterested in perfect fidelity of the scene and more interested in things like capturing how the light illuminated the scene in a brief moment or the general mood of the setting, etc.

Certainly, Japanese culture is well acquainted with realism. But, maybe Japanese culture is just not that into realism anymore, at least with respect to bonsai aesthetics. When I look at that photo of the tree Bjorn styled, what I see is abstraction. Instead of a faithful miniature depiction of an aged mountain tree, what we have here is something more like, "Impression, Tree".

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Definitely not saying it isn't art. I just think it's ridiculous looking art. As a viewer of the image, I have the right to reject it as poor art. Of course, you have the right to view it in a favorable light. If someone tries to stop you, call me. I'll fight on your side.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In one of his recent Q&A's he talked about how he hates this photo. This is a tree from his apprenticeship days I believe. I think he said he's since redone the tree and it doesn't look so "plastic". Or something along those lines.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 380419
Absolutely, totally agree🧐! Personally seems Bjorn does not appear exactly proud to show this tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is indeed a pic of his apprenticeship. There is a video of the work done.
You may not like it. But this is an absolute piece of art, styling so crisp it could cut paper. A show of technical ability that not many can match.

Given this tree, I swear I would hack at it unmercifully and free it from it's humiliation.
Lets hope you never lay your hands on it then.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good hot take, thanks for sharing Mr Dupree

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like how I envision the Tower of Babylon.
It is remarkable but honestly, I can't look at it long as I find it disturbing.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Let me clarify. I find no fault with Bjorn. He did what he was paid to do. The one who commissioned this work is the one with the poor taste. AND, if the owner wanted that look, he is definitely entitled to get what he paid for. I would never say "it is not art". Google "art" sometime. Almost no one agrees on what it is, especially this old Cajun from South Louisiana.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It looks like how I envision the Tower of Babylon.
It is remarkable but honestly, I can't look at it long as I find it disturbing.
Babel? ;) I had the same

That’s how we got our languages..

Well at least in THAT book.

🤣🤣

(it also resembles What a street tree would look Like in Moores Utopia)

Top Bottom