Really need help with this white pine styling.......

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
This pine has a nice graft but a really powerful and strong STRAIGHT trunk and in no way looks like a tree to me. I could go cliche and drop it over into a cascade but it doesn't 100% solve the straight problem nor does it turn it into a great tree (though time couuld).

click thumbs to make large, Here are the pics:

I don't know how to do virts really, at least the way I want to BUT what I am thinking is a few options :

1 severe bending/breaking of trunk above orange circle around red arrow Creating new apex at the forming branch in the circle and creating a powerful cascading in the other direction.
2 Break at red arrow and create jin orange forms new apex develop branching on opposite side
3 I don't remember #3 off the top of my head right now. Later edit if I remember.

ps if anyone can do a virt of my cascade idea I would be grateful.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know how attached you are to the top of the tree (above the red circle), but the tree below it is a nice compact powerful tree in the waiting. I'd look at reducing to just above the branch in the circle if you can't bend the straight part. (I'm no good at virts...sorry)

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't know how attached you are to the top of the tree (above the red circle), but the tree below it is a nice compact powerful tree in the waiting. I'd look at reducing to just above the branch in the circle if you can't bend the straight part. (I'm no good at virts...sorry)

that is option 2 in my above post.

was thinking about that drilling and stuffing a wire in it method that was posted here if I try to bring the top down.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If this is mine, I will chop just above the branches at the bottom of the circle. :D

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm fairly confident I won't cut below the red circle and I feel there is an opportunity missed if I don't try and bring that top down. I see a vision in my head but I am uncertain if it will work like I think. Anyone want to do a virt of the top cascading?

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jason,

Even if you bend the upper trunk, it won't have any taper. I would either cut it back or maybe split the trunk. Personally, I like the idea of cutting back. Your still young.

Regards,
Martin

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Lol thanks. Wish I was in my 20's instead of mid 30's lol.

I personally think it has decent taper not extreme but if I bend the top I could carve the back and intensify the taper. Just looking for a good technique. I did see the carve and insert wire method that may improve taper and allow the bend.

Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jason,

I wish I was in my mid thirties instead of in my mid forties. Grass/greener.

Regards,
Martin

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Jeeze - have some pity for those of us who are in our mid 70s.

3rdfloordeck

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Jeeze - have some pity for those of us who are in our mid 70s.

Wow, I don't know any 70 year olds that can format forum text to bold, let alone find/register to a forum to begin with. I'd say you're doing pretty well.

@original post:

I would probably try to air layer the top off. that way, even if it isn't successful, at least you still have the bottom tree you'd have after a chop anyway.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
perhaps I could graft some of the upper apex to the tree then chop after they take, though I have never approached a graft like this before.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think trying to force that tree into a cascade won't work. It doesn't want to be a cascade and you'll end up fighting it all the way. As it is it is way too straight and very little taper. I think chopping above the branch in the circle and wire that branch up as a new apex. It could become a very nice tree eventually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom