Really root bound maple

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I took care of all the needed repots but found that a sugar maple is very root bound. . It is in a short nursery pot, like a mum pot, bottom half inch all circling. Can it wait till better temperatures or just cut it and put in shade until it recovers? Will photo tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I water tomorrow if this is emergency that needs to be done in summer.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on age and amount of foliage. Generally young maple can be repotted most times but when freezing. Reasonable root work OK if good amount of feeder roots remain, after care always important. Older trees, lots of foliage not quite so forgiving🤨.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many newbies panic when there's a few roots circling the pot. That's perfectly normal and no cause for worry. It can happen in a few months with vigorous trees.
Pot bound is when there's no more space in the pot for new roots to grow, usually after quite a few years in the pot.
I'd need to see the problem before offering meaningful advice.

Even if the roots are quite congested it is not a life and death situation. Good management can help nurse a pot bound tree through to the next good repot time.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my memory last night, roots were completely white and there was no new growth. Today I see darkened roots and yes new buds and baby leaves struggling but not many. How does this change in my head so fast due to internet searches, lol?
I have peroxide or terramaster if you think it should be dunked.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I picked up a hornbeam like this a few weeks ago maybe worse, because all the leaves were crispy and it wasnt being watered at the nursery. the roots are probably the most compacted ive ever seen on a hornbeam. I emptied a whole 5 litre water can on the pot, then lifted it out the pot and the middle of the root ball was still bone dry! Ive never had to dunk a tree before but i filled a bucket with water and submerged the entire root ball in it for 30mins, and pulled it out when all the air bubbles were gone, then dunked it again. removed a little soil from the top surface just to see what the nebari was like, nothing major. Then just slipped the whole thing in a wider plastic pot and filled in the edges with bonsai soil. its lost all the crispy leaves it came with and is now pushing out new growth. its being watered and fed heavily. want to see it?
newbies are getting it wrong with these nursery trees, instead of wanting to do drastic root work right away, just use those established roots to power growth, you have a whole tub of healthy root there. in the growing season, if you say wanted to do a trunk chop, you have all that root to power back budding and rampant growth. if you wanted to cut all the branches back, it should back bud like mad with all that root power. as long as you water and water runs freely through the drainage holes within seconds its fine.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes... dry in center a lot! I want to up-pot but want to see if anyone thinks do away with these outer roots in this heat.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
doesnt look dry tho, you didnt mention before that it was staying dry in the middle after watering.
sounds like youre desperate to do the root work regardless of whats been said.
i shall leave you to it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure you water the tree. Leave the roots. I have a tree standing a cm out of the pots with all the roots it has grown this season. I am not worried.
Stop taking plants out of the container. It idamages the roots, which is more troublesome than having loads of healthy roots.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right-o bobby, I am probably desperate about this maple when there are much bigger fish to fry. A frequent avoidance tactic until someone catches me.
Ok will put in large pot and force myself no messing around roots until spring :)

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure you water the tree. Leave the roots. I have a tree standing a cm out of the pots with all the roots it has grown this season. I am not worried.
Stop taking plants out of the container. It idamages the roots, which is more troublesome than having loads of healthy roots.
Huh? I thought you were supposed to look at roots even in the nursery.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
This looks like the perfect balance in a grow pot! Wait until spring to do root work or up potting.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a hornbeam like this a few weeks ago maybe worse, because all the leaves were crispy and it wasnt being watered at the nursery. the roots are probably the most compacted ive ever seen on a hornbeam. I emptied a whole 5 litre water can on the pot, then lifted it out the pot and the middle of the root ball was still bone dry! Ive never had to dunk a tree before but i filled a bucket with water and submerged the entire root ball in it for 30mins, and pulled it out when all the air bubbles were gone, then dunked it again. removed a little soil from the top surface just to see what the nebari was like, nothing major. Then just slipped the whole thing in a wider plastic pot and filled in the edges with bonsai soil. its lost all the crispy leaves it came with and is now pushing out new growth. its being watered and fed heavily. want to see it?
newbies are getting it wrong with these nursery trees, instead of wanting to do drastic root work right away, just use those established roots to power growth, you have a whole tub of healthy root there. in the growing season, if you say wanted to do a trunk chop, you have all that root to power back budding and rampant growth. if you wanted to cut all the branches back, it should back bud like mad with all that root power. as long as you water and water runs freely through the drainage holes within seconds its fine.
allright done in an inch more sides/ bottom. I see you offered photo of your hornbeam recovered, let's see it!

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
This is awesome!!!! 5his is close to pot bound, but remember most roots are on the outside of the ball.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the term root bound is often misused. Some trees are just well established. id rather a tree be well established in a pot before carrying out work on it, which is why i love working on nursery trees. I prefer a tree solid in its pot than one thats wobbley because the roots arent occupying the pot.

Top Bottom