Really windy today...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OMG, you have a ficus!!! lol.
Are you doing a display or just singles?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OMG, you have a ficus!!! lol.
Are you doing a display or just singles?
Ficus? What ficus?

From left to right: trident Ror in the back, Zelkova Shohin, Zelkova kifu, olive.

I'm putting in two displays. Bill has assigned me a table. One display will be a formal Shohin box display. The other will be a 3 point display.

Other trees not shown here but will be on display at the show are a kifu JBP (part of the 3 point display), and a Shohin JWP, Kishu shimpaku, and Dav4 is going to loan me the use of the goji berry!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Judy, that is an Olive... Looks like ficus aren't they.
I thought that was an olive, but I've never seen one in person, so I didn't say anything...
But yeah, I've seen some ficus type that resembles that one....
Correction.....actually I have seen some olives at the Nat Arb in DC....

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Hello, they all look great, of course, that need not be said.
I hope this isn't too off topic but the olive tree, do you have a thread on it here, on the forum? With more pics or perhaps even progression, if that was recorded?
It's trunk/stump is similar to my own olive tree that I was given by someone, and I was interested in getting tips for its development.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol!!! That ficus in the dining room is artificial!

I can't grow those d@mn things! Lol!!!

We have two of them. We bought them 15 years ago or so when were "staging" our previous house to sell. Ever since then, we've just stuck them in a corner!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello, they all look great, of course, that need not be said.
I hope this isn't too off topic but the olive tree, do you have a thread on it here, on the forum? With more pics or perhaps even progression, if that was recorded?
It's trunk/stump is similar to my own olive tree that I was given by someone, and I was interested in getting tips for its development.
Conor, I didn't develop this olive, I have others that I am developing. Once you get a trunk, developing branches is pretty easy, they grow fast and back bud.

They like warm weather and well draining soil.

This tree was started by Sam Adina. He sometimes works at a vineyard in California where they also have an olive grove. From time to time, they need to remove an old olive, and Sam makes cuttings, and uses pieces of the nebari, and who knows what all to make bonsai. I went to his place, and he had hundreds! All shapes, sizes, and levels of development. I purchased a Shohin project tree from him, and a a huge olive stump that we were able to get Show ready last January. I will be taking it to the Nationals in 2018.

This particular tree, Sam gave to Jeanne Fujimoto. She and Boon worked on it for a couple years. Last September, she loaned it to me to include in my Shohin display at the Nationals. Boon and I picked out the outrageously yellow pot! We showed it again st the BIB show in January. At the show, I convinced Jeanne to sell it to me so that I could display it at the first National Shohin show in Kannapolis this coming June.

All the branches on it are young. Once Sam got the taper on the trunk he wanted, he cut off all the branches. New branches popped everywhere, and he selected the ones he wanted and worked with them. From there it's easy: let grow, cut back. Let grow, cut back. When the branches are young and soft, wire into position. Remove wire in about 6 weeks. Repeat. Pull off any downward growing leaves and shoots.

Really, olive is one of the easiest trees to use for bonsai! Repot during summer when the tree is actively growing.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ahahahaha!
I didn't see that back there.... I think we have one like that that the previous owner of the house left behind....
I should have known better....

Top Bottom