Really winter?!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't forget that some cheap oil lamps and candles in jars can keep ambient temperatures just above freezing.
Could save some of your backs!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't forget that some cheap oil lamps and candles in jars can keep ambient temperatures just above freezing.
Worst Idea EVER...with 50 mph wind, foraging deer squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, cats, etc. one of those gets knocked over and its a disaster for you and possibly your neighbors.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of my stuff is still dormant outside. Nothing comes in except a couple recent transplants. I just close the cold frame a day or two and button down the hoop tunnels. I don't do the two step. Everything else out there has been through worse than this.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Most of my stuff is still dormant outside. Nothing comes in except a couple recent transplants. I just close the cold frame a day or two and button down the hoop tunnels. I don't do the two step. Everything else out there has been through worse than this.

That is the trick, store your trees cold enough they don't sprout early. Trees I leave out I heal in on the NORTH side of the house, or a fence, so they are in shade all winter. Shade stays cool during random warm days. Helps keep things dormant.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is the trick, store your trees cold enough they don't sprout early. Trees I leave out I heal in on the NORTH side of the house, or a fence, so they are in shade all winter. Shade stays cool during random warm days. Helps keep things dormant.
We have been above 70 many times in the last month. Over 80 twice in the last week!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Worst Idea EVER...with 50 mph wind, foraging deer squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, cats, etc. one of those gets knocked over and its a disaster for you and possibly your neighbors.
Oh right, I forgot. I burned down the entire neighborhood 15 times already.
A good oil lamp should be able to topple over with zero consequences, except for going out. A good lamp oil shouldn't burn on its own without a carrier; it's the vapor that burns, not the oil itself. Add more oil and it should go out, take away the air and it should go out, remove the oil and it should go out, break the glass and it should blow out. Same with candles.
But yeah, I get it. There are places in the world where people shoot at hurricanes and microwaves require a clausule about not being suitable for live hamsters, in places like that I wouldn't recommend setting up something with actual fire.

But some old lightbulbs, the non-LED and non-CFL ones, can provide some heat as well.
71RQFibDLLL._AC_SY606_.jpg

These buggers can be water proof and provide 60 degrees C of heat when equipped with a 60-100W bulb.
But this could be the worster idea ever, because deer could chew through the cable, their subdermal fat could catch fire and they could cause the curious squirrels to become miniature incendiary-war-pigs shooting through the trees setting the whole house ablaze. If they actually come out of hiding during 50mph winds..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A good oil lamp should be able to topple over with zero consequences, except for going out. A good lamp oil shouldn't burn on its own without a carrier; it's the vapor that burns, not the oil itself. Add more oil and it should go out, take away the air and it should go out, remove the oil and it should go out, break the glass and it should blow out. Same with candles.
But yeah, I get it. There are places in the world where people shoot at hurricanes and microwaves require a clausule about not being suitable for live hamsters, in places like that I wouldn't recommend setting up something with actual fire.

But some old lightbulbs, the non-LED and non-CFL ones, can provide some heat as well.

These buggers can be water proof and provide 60 degrees C of heat when equipped with a 60-100W bulb.
But this could be the worster idea ever, because deer could chew through the cable, their subdermal fat could catch fire and they could cause the curious squirrels to become miniature incendiary-war-pigs shooting through the trees setting the whole house ablaze. If they actually come out of hiding during 50mph winds..
Uh, you only mentioned cheap oil lamps and flames in jars...not a word about any of this stuff. Leaving "safe" fire unattended outdoors among leaves and wood is not 'safe'

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We work in the garage, so I have an electric heater that can heat it up to 45 or so if all the doors stay closed. If that isn't warm enough I have a propane convection heater but we have to crack open door to run safely inside... Depends on the wind if the electric can keep up. I do also have a CO2 detector to be safe if we use the propane.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Even the tridents I have growing in the ground have new leaves on them, so they are going to get hammered this time as we are projected to hit 14F tonight. Hopefully the rest of the branches won’t die back. Plus my Chinese quince have new buds among the old leaves they kept all winter so I hope they have some capability to take the freeze, but 14F?

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Even the tridents I have growing in the ground have new leaves on them, so they are going to get hammered this time as we are projected to hit 14F tonight. Hopefully the rest of the branches won’t die back. Plus my Chinese quince have new buds among the old leaves they kept all winter so I hope they have some capability to take the freeze, but 14F?
My wife and I were admiring all the blooming landscape plants that likely won't be blooming in 24 hours.

And after this morning I am reevaluating just how man bonsai one should have! The trip from my garden to the garage is about 30m but we made a lot of them.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My garage is located at the bottom of a small hill and my bonsai stands are at the top of the hill, so I have to carry each down a long set of steps. Not too bad for the small stuff but my forests are getting to be a pain to lug up and down. As you get older it is a good idea to move to shohin production! I may try to negotiate space in the gardens at the bottom of the hill too although that area is in pretty heavy shade most of the day.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My wife and I were admiring all the blooming landscape plants that likely won't be blooming in 24 hours.

And after this morning I am reevaluating just how man bonsai one should have! The trip from my garden to the garage is about 30m but we made a lot of them.
I should get the chance to move them out Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 37

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
New Bronco? You like it? They look pretty cool on the road, especially that color.
It is the Bronco Sport. My wife's car but we love it. I drive a bigger SUV. I was worried the Bronco would ride rougher but it is great. Plenty of power as well. We have taken it on several road trips and it was as comfortable as our other car.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Agreed! Ever since we experienced days ABOVE freezing and corresponding low temps ABOVE 15F.. I began dismantling my "cold-storage unit"... dealing with dormant trees throughout some of this diversely fluctuating spring weather seems ideal.

We are trending upwards here, now. With last night being an exception. Had to construct a more crude "lean-to", as temps hit 5F early this morning.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Or devils advocate here, do a greenhouse so you can get extra growing season. I'm heavy into repots now, with leaves expected any day on a few, and lots of light so no two step needed. I get a month front and back of growing season total at least.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or devils advocate here, do a greenhouse so you can get extra growing season. I'm heavy into repots now, with leaves expected any day on a few, and lots of light so no two step needed. I get a month front and back of growing season total at least.
Is you greenhouse unheated or minimally heated?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is you greenhouse unheated or minimally heated?
Heat mats under all trees kept at 36 air heat with circulatory fan kept at 33. Electric air vent and vent fan to pull in cold air in sunny days opens and turns on at 43. It has a complete normal roof, and solexx sides (translucent so spreads light well) glass doors and windows get pull down shades in winter to keep sun out. Fully lit with good reflectors and led corn bulbs, open the shades this time of year and let ‘‘em rip. did most of the rest of repots today, have a few left of the late pushers to go.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

“miniature incendiary-war-pigs shooting through the trees”. You win this thread🤣

Top Bottom