Really winter?!

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In Georgia, like many places, we are used to doing the shuffle with the trees that have been recently repotted. However, temps normally drop just below freezing. This Sunday morning, just south of Atlanta, we are predicted to drop as low as 20 degrees. In some low lying areas it might reach the teens. Everything shows some signs of growth right now. What plants are safe to leave out, even if hey have green tips or leaves pushing, and which ones have to have protection? Like I said, I've done the shuffle with newly repotted trees, but this is the first year in a long time that we will see it get this cold so late.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Georgia, like many places, we are used to doing the shuffle with the trees that have been recently repotted. However, temps normally drop just below freezing. This Sunday morning, just south of Atlanta, we are predicted to drop as low as 20 degrees. In some low lying areas it might reach the teens. Everything shows some signs of growth right now. What plants are safe to leave out, even if hey have green tips or leaves pushing, and which ones have to have protection? Like I said, I've done the shuffle with newly repotted trees, but this is the first year in a long time that we will see it get this cold so late.
We're forecast to the low 20's for Saturday and Sunday nights. I have trees pushing leaves and some still with tight buds. EVERYTHING that has buds open and/or new leaves emerging is coming into the basement until Monday.

I am also concerned about my Bald Cypress. Although it's not broken into growth yet, it's buds are just emerging. I am bringing it in as well, as I lost a very nice BC to the same early warm up/deep freeze conditions three or four years ago. Low 20's are killing territory for trees left unprotected at their roots (mulch them in) even if they're not pushing buds...If in doubt about how a given tree will weather the cold BRING IT IN.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We're forecast to the low 20's for Saturday and Sunday nights. I have trees pushing leaves and some still with tight buds. EVERYTHING that has buds open and/or new leaves emerging is coming into the basement until Monday.

I am also concerned about my Bald Cypress. Although it's not broken into growth yet, it's buds are just emerging. I am bringing it in as well, as I lost a very nice BC to the same early warm up/deep freeze conditions three or four years ago. Low 20's are killing territory for trees left unprotected at their roots (mulch them in) even if they're not pushing buds...If in doubt about how a given tree will weather the cold BRING IT IN.
thanks to both of you. Better safe than sorry. I have 2 dozen maples of various types that are in full leaf already.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks to both of you. Better safe than sorry. I have 2 dozen maples of various types that are in full leaf already.
I have two JM group plantings. They always wake up early. I repotted them two weeks ago. They have leaves now. Deep freeze will kill them at this point if the pots are exposed. I could leave them mulched in the cold pit, but the freeze will kill the leaves and possibly branching. Have to dig them out and carry them in. Same with the BC and assorted trident maples, as well as cedar elm. Basement will be cramped.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of the ironies is that it may drop below 20 here (20 miles south of Atlanta.) Not only will it be the coldest temps of this winter, but the coldest temps in a few years. I guess we can hope this knocks down the pollen this spring.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We're expecting the same here in NY over the weekend. I guess I will be loading up the downstairs bathroom with trees for the weekend.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ll be loading up the garage and tarping my nursery area I’m hoping this will be the last cold snap.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ll be loading up the garage and tarping my nursery area I’m hoping this will be the last cold snap.
If you're using plastic, not a great idea. Can cause damage needlessly. Covers should be cloth to allow air to move through. Plastic gets condensation underneath, which can freeze leaves to the plastic, etc.

If you have trees that aren't budding out (if the buds haven't broken open and you can't see definite leaf edges separating from the bud) you can water them well and mulch them in--the deeper the mulch the better -- do that now, if you wait for colder weather, the colder the mulch will be and the faster the pile might freeze through.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
26F last night and the fountain is iced over, yet again.

Everything is protected or still buried in the ground, but the leaves that budded out on the trees outside have been really getting a(nother) beating! So we have done absolutely no repots so far… only wiring of a bunch of youngish azaleas… which are back in a packed greenhouse for the duration of March.

So glad I spent the time to put a couple small greenhouses last summer. Major work for this ole guy.

Supposed to warm up again… fingers crossed.

cheers
DSD sends

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any issues to think about regarding insects when bringing trees into the house this time of year?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It's supposed to be 12 degrees tomorrow and snow, then 60 by Sunday. These big temperature swings are unfortunately very common here. Last year it snowed on April 21st. I have the azaleas and crepes, ect in big trays to make the "two-stepping" a little easier.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any issues to think about regarding insects when bringing trees into the house this time of year?
As always it depends…! This time of the temperature indoors and the duration inside triggering hatches of anything in the soil and on your trees.

Keep-’em cold as possible and for as short time as possible will help cut the possibilities of out break… and away from any indoor plants just in case.

Half of our azalea cuttings/whips are in the garage all winter on heat mats and constant vigilance for bugs is the name of the game!

Cheers
DSD sends

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Of course… this is spring break and I’m traveling from Michigan to Nashville to visit my kids who will meet us there… 36 F for a high Saturday😩
It was 70's last weekend, and I have a few trees pushing buds... Of course my spring work day with Owen is on Saturday, and it's going to snow 3-5" on
Friday night and high of 25 on Saturday... Should be an interesting day!

Top Bottom