Reapplying rooting hormone?

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just wondering when air layering, does rooting hormone only get a one time application or are there instances when it should be periodically re-applied? I have several air layers cooking right now and root development has been fast on some while on others not so much. This is including air layers done on the same tree under the same conditions.

I'm sure it wouldn't be smart to tear into the sphagnum once I see roots of any length, and I figure there will be variations in the vigor with which air layers develop, but does it help to re-apply the rooting hormone when say just a callus has formed? Or is it unnecessary?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Many won't form roots until callus forms, I'd say no for reapply, unless the section to be layered still seems to be living, then you may have not gotten all the cambium off when preping the layer.

What kind of tree, I have a couple of trident layers I tried, all I got was gobs of callus.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long it will take for a layering to produce roots can be a factor of many thing, Temperature, Species, tree location, Health/vigor of the tree being layered. I have found that when air-layering larger branch on most species that rooting hormone is not even needed, just the introduction to the right atmosphere will cause just about any given deciduous species to root (but a light coat of hormones wont hurt). Also be careful on what strength rooting hormone you are using as some species are more sensitive than others/need less than others. I have never done more than the first original application, and recommend not doing more than that as you risk 'burning' the tissue in the area desired for the roots to grow. You need to not only be aware of the trees comparability with the strength rooting hormone you are using but the fact that you can cause more harm than good by over applying too much on the initial application as well.

Reaction score
my money is on "no", and I agree that I have all but given up on root hormone... majority of my layering, cuttings have rooted up with only spagnum moss...
You mentioned that you were doing multiple layerings on the same tree. Depending on where at on the tree might have a bit to do with it as well...
If it were me, I would just be patient... I have found before that often times there are roots growing, just can't see them yet...
Has your spagnum moss gotten to wet???

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
On the same note, as a rule of thumb, how often should the air layers be re-moistened?

If you're referring to the moss inside the bag of an air layer, I've found that it often retains too much water, and I'm always ringing them out (gently). The moss should be like a damp sponge, I'll punch holes in the bottom of the bag to give it a chance to drain through. Not to hijack, but here is a thread on layering this tree.

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the replies. I had three on a Trident, two grew and one didn't. The only difference was that the two that grew were vertical branches while the one that didn't was horizontal. Now I think the two vertical ones drained while the horizontal stayed too wet with the water laying in the bag. I'll poke some holes in the remaining one to see if it helps. For hormone I used a product called Juicy Roots. It's 1.0% Indole Acetic Acid not Indole Butyric Acid. Actually noticed the difference after I bought the stuff. Seemed to work well though on the layers I did correctly.

ibnozn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To follow up, it was the drainage. Some holes in the bag let the extra water out and roots grew pretty quickly thereafter. Was able to separate it a few days ago.
Thanks again.

Top Bottom