Rebirth of a 35 year old chuhin maple

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought this Japanese maple from the personal collection of Chase Rosade. About 30 years ago, Chase created the initial design at a workshop with a known Japanese master who's name I can't remember. At the time the tree was about 5 years old making it 35 years old now. Chase could not confirm the specific cultivar but it does not look to be a standard green mountain maple.

In any case, as I was wiring the top part of the trunk one spring, I accidentally cracked the entire apex. I am no stranger to cracks of any kind in maples, so I did not think much of it since I thought for sure it would heal and all would be fine as has usually been my experience. It didn't! The whole top after leafing out that spring, became very weak and died. I was disheartened by this and the tree fell into neglect. I continued to do some occasional pruning and fertilized it but not much else it got from me.

Below is a photo of the maple as it looked before I decided to give it a new lease in life. The plastic pot is from a failed graft experiment. It was time to rethink this tree!

Many branches were removed in the process. All cuts were then covered with cut paste.

After aggressive pruning, a bit of wiring and a repotting, here is the maple as it looks now. Not much to look at but I do believe that it is now set for a brighter future.

Detail of the interesting nebari which sits high above the soil line. The bark is also showing an aged appearance.

I made a vertical groove in the trunk mid way up in order to swell the area and thicken the trunk right at that spot.

Perhaps in another 5 to 7 years this is a virtual of how the tree could look like.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for this review of the rebirth. :cool:

Also, I'd like to see that slot again at the end of the season. I've done similar things to species other than a.p. and haven't been impressed by the results.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mach5 come on, you make me wanna stop Bonsai (or keep on, dreaming that I will be one day capable of doing something like that lol)

Thanks for sharing

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just excellent!

I love the Nebari.

I agree AKhater.
Maybe I will neglect some, if they turn into that! I'm going to break an apex !

Sorce

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for this review of the rebirth. :cool:

Also, I'd like to see that slot again at the end of the season. I've done similar things to species other than a.p. and haven't been impressed by the results.

I have had mixed results with this. No exact science for me. I am trying to work out more precise techniques for more precise and predictable outcomes. We shall see. It's tricky with nature, just as you think you have her figured out, she throws you another curveball. Ahhh women!! :confused:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just excellent!

I love the Nebari.

I agree AKhater.
Maybe I will neglect some, if they turn into that! I'm going to break an apex !

Sorce

Thanks sorce! Well when life throws you lemons you go and make...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great base and taper. The repotting was definitely an improvement.

I'm not crazy about the first right branch because it's so low, and removing it places the first branch on the left, emerging from the inside of a curve. A conundrum.

I'd be tempted to grow out the second left branch to eventually replace the one below it; removing the first branches on the right and left.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 120

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

I'm not crazy about the first right branch because it's so low, and removing it places the first branch on the left, emerging from the inside of a curve. A conundrum.

I'd be tempted to grow out the second left branch to eventually replace the one below it; removing the first branches on the right and left.

Thanks Brian! I thought about this branch as well but decided to keep it for the time being. Virts show all good possibilities. Certainly gives the tree a very different feeling. For sure as the tree progresses I will have to keep this in mind. It might turn out a bit like your maple thread "cut it or leave it" type of ongoing dialogue here. At the moment I do like it but then again I have a propensity to like low growth on D trees. Always time to cut it off!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Very provocative set of virts, Brian. :confused:
Thanks for making them.

After about an hour with the images rattling around with the pea in my head, I strongly favor keeping those two lowest branches. It is the most comfortable and pleasing image for me. It evokes feelings of safety and of a warm welcome from a grandparent, whereas the tree starts to evoke feelings of youth and/or aloofness without them. They are all artistically interesting possibilities, but the tree has something special with those two lower branches.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahhh women!! :confused:
But you know you can't live without us. Where else would the inspiration for all those sexy maple curves come from?!!
This one has some nice bones, I'm glad you've decided to renew her. I wonder if I could come and pick thru your junk pile?

I know what it is to give up for a time on a tree after you loose something major, it's so depressing and you just don't want to look at it. I have one that I've picked back up this year after a similar issue. I'll give it a post up on Weds. if I have time.
Cheers to the new old tree.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
From this stage Mach would you 'hedge' to get a silhouette or cut back to one or 2 nodes? I'd be interested in your approach and to juxtapose it with Walter's. Excellent artists and excellent trees and I suspect there's more than one way to skin a cat.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
From this stage Mach would you 'hedge' to get a silhouette or cut back to one or 2 nodes? I'd be interested in your approach and to juxtapose it with Walter's. Excellent artists and excellent trees and I suspect there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks Marie. As you rightfully pointed out, there are many ways to do bonsai. I believe there is not an "only" way. I personally do not hedge. I go into each shoot and trim back as needed. It depends what these shoots are intended to do in each area of the tree.

Reaction score
@MACH5 . Sorry to bump this thread. Do you still have this tree and/or do you have evolution photos? Would be interesting how this turned out...

D

Deleted member 21616

LOL lately getting bumped threads of trees I don't have anymore. Sorry Dirk I sold this one two years ago.

so it won't be in the 2019 Mach5 calendar you mean? :(

Top Bottom