Rebirth of a greenhouse number two

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
I had an old greenhouse frame in the back of my garden that I used as a pen for my chickens.

Since I didn't have any more chickens, I decided to refurbish it and use it for my trees.

serre.jpg

serre2.jpg

And once again, I set to work .
Here is the evolution of my work in pictures

DSCN0073.JPG

DSCN0074.JPG

DSCN0077.JPG

DSCN0092.JPG

DSCN0100.JPG

DSCN0107.JPG

DSCN0108.JPG

DSCN0091.JPG

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
I cut the door to make it wider.
This way, my trees will enter the greenhouse without any problem.

dscn0142-jpg.410452

DSCN0149.JPG

I attached a square tube frame like this to the masonry to aim the greenhouse frame at.

dscn0167.JPG

dscn0168.jpg

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0163.JPG

DSCN0151.JPG

DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0197.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0142.JPG
    DSCN0142.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 221

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
I installed a heater, it can also give ventilation.

DSC_0547.JPG

I have installed an underfloor heating system.
It is equipped with a thermostat.
I just keep the temperature above freezing.

19.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg

Then I covered the heating cable with bark chips.

b.jpg

9.jpg

My trees are quiet to spend the winter. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

End. :) ;)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice work!
Looks as bomb proof as a green house can be! Heated floor is awesome - Perfect winter storage.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Superb! And your trees are wonderful, maybe you could share some of them here on the forum! Only one question, what is the middle table in the last set of photos for? It would make it harder to get to the trees so not sue I understand the purpose. Do you ever have trouble with overheating in winter? I also use a built structure for winter storage, and find it almost more challenging keeping it cold enough on sunny winter days than keeping it warm. I have heat mats, and a small heater, and a vent and fan combo that automatically come on and open above 43F.

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you very much friends. ;)

Hello Judy, :)

I will try to explain.

First of all, you have to consider that I live in Belgium.
We have a temperate climate, but very humid.
For example, I haven't watered my trees for almost three months and they are still wet.
Here, winters are relatively mild, but in my region, it is not uncommon to have a week at -20 ° = -4 °F during the nights.
These -4°F weeks are sometimes preceded and followed by milder (more or less) 26.6°F frost periods, which means that the frost periods can last several weeks.
This is not a problem for trees in nature, because their roots go down low enough, but for bonsai... 🤥
I have a lot of azaleas (satsuki), they have an evergreen foliage, in winter, they need less water, but they still need it. Contrary to what we think, they are resistant to cold, but not to lack of water.
If the substrates are frozen for several weeks, they do not die of cold, but of thirst.
So I keep the temperature of the greenhouse frost-free.

Look, in this picture,

DSC_0257.JPG

one year I had put all my trees under cover and that was the same in both greenhouses.

DSC_0252.JPG

It's not very nice, 🤥 but all my trees were protected and that was the most important.
They stayed like that for more than a week without any problem.

The tables in the center of the greenhouse are made up of five galvanized metal grating panels, like the one in this picture.

7.jpg

I can put 1, 2, ... or all 5, which allows me to double the surface of the greenhouse to protect my trees when the cold periods are too long.
It is also very practical when I have to replace the insulation in the greenhouse. :)

Regarding the variation of the temperature due to the sun of the day.
If you look at this picture, you will see that two trees (liquidambar) have been planted in front of the greenhouse.

DSCN0151.JPG
the advantage of the Liquidambar is that it gives me pretty colors in autumn.:)
They are on the south side of the greenhouse, which means that in summer and autumn, the greenhouse receives very little sun because their foliage protects the greenhouse from the sun. It only gets an hour or two of sunlight very early in the morning, which is great because it's coldest at sunrise.
Another point to consider is that the greenhouse stays with its insulation all year long, so the temperature remains fairly constant even when the sun is shining in winter.

That's it, I will present some trees on the forum, but I also have to write the continuation of the Shin, Gyo, So and share with you some pictures of my travels in Japan.
I don't know about you, but here in Europe we often caricature Japanese people with a camera, it always made me laugh. Until I made the trip to Japan.
I went there three times and I made more or less 6000 pictures per trip, that is 18000 pictures.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for this information. You have all this very well thought out for your climate, and your trees must show your care. I have appreciated so far your sharing of your trips, and I look forward to seeing more of that. Appreciate very much your sharing of your greenhouse structure rebuild.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sweet set up, and trees, hoping to have something similar one day!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So very clever and well thought out and executed.
I would give my left....................
earlobe, yeah that's right, my left earlobe for a set up like that.
Color me green.

PieterVE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You really are a handy man Michel, what a great greenhouse !
And it give's me idea's :D

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I insulated the greenhouse with bubble wrap

View attachment 410470

View attachment 410471

View attachment 410472

It was raining and very cold. 🤥:)

View attachment 410473

Then I set up the door. I wanted to give it a little Asian look. :)
I worked these woods

View attachment 410465

View attachment 410468

:D

View attachment 410469
So you have shad netting built around this greenhouse or was that another greenhouse on your premise ?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful greenhouse. It is my dream to have a property with space for a greenhouse like this some day!

Top Bottom