Rebleaching naturally occurring deadwood on a Utah juniper

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here and I have no idea if I’m putting it in the right category, but I’m working on my first collected Utah juniper and it’s got some nice naturally occurring deadwood features. Unfortunately, as I was cleaning the flaky bark off of the trunk and branches with a wire brush (simply for my own amusement), I brushed up against some of this deadwood, revealing the brown colored layer of bark that junipers exhibit under the flaky gray bark.

Obviously, I don’t want deadwood with swipes of cinnamon brown on it, so I was wondering if I should use a jin knife to remove all the outer bark and treat that with lime sulfur or just treat it without removing the bark. Thanks in advance!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not real clear on what you're talking about. Are you talking about bark that cover living tissue (which is reddish colored) or the lower, less weathered deadwood underneath whitish deadwood?

Photo would help tremendously...

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that I brushed up against the deadwood by accident and scraped off the grayish white layer that had been naturally bleached. This revealed the reddish brown layer on the jin itself. I’ve attached a picture.

Attachments

• B2E76146-8A99-4ABF-89B4-B3A03E798898.jpeg
    B2E76146-8A99-4ABF-89B4-B3A03E798898.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom