REBS score

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Visited the REBS show today. (Redwood Empire Bonsai Society). Nice show.

Got to see and surprise some friends: Kathy Shaner, Bob Shimer, Jonas, Jim Gremel, etc. I spent most of my time in the vendor area. I found this chojubai clump sitting in the back row:

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heading up there today. Hope all y'all didn't buy everything already

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lone Pine gardens? This came from a landscape nursery? I'll take 2, please.
Yep, Lone Pine is a great source for bonsai. They're a bonsai propagator. This chojubai apparently used to be their stock plant from which they would take cuttings. Why they decided to dig it and sell it is beyond me, but when I saw it, I recognized this was a rare opportunity.

By the way, this is how I tend to shop for bonsai. I go to Bonsai shops or bonsai shows and buy the best material of what's available. I didn't go in there looking for a chojubai. I'm a pine guy. But, sometimes Opportunity knocks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, I worked on it a little. Repotted it into Boon Mix. Pulled low branches down to be in contact with the soil, so the clump will expand. Held them down with chopsticks tied down thru holes in the bottom of the pot. I also used those chopsticks to guy wire down many of the branches. And removed many crossing branches.

IMG_1102.JPG

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I managed to buy a shohin coastal redwood, a Cedrus atlanticus and a Sarah Rayner pot. Thanks for leaving some stuff for Sunday!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I managed to buy a shohin coastal redwood, a Cedrus atlanticus and a Sarah Rayner pot. Thanks for leaving some stuff for Sunday!
Would that be a Jim Gremel Atlas Cedar?

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
First time they didn't send me a card. :(
Off the A list...

Top Bottom