Rebuilding Arakawa Maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I bought recently 4 different cultivars from Esveld (none Arakawa, as unfortunately was not available at the moment) and all are grafted but good for cuttings and air layers.
If you're okay with slightly different foliage there are other Acer Palmatum cultivars that have cork bark as well. Nishikigawa is quite nice provided you're okay with a more compact fan shape to the leaf. Legends say it corks up faster than Arakawa as well but that's a totally unsubstantiated claim to my knowledge.

Kidkidsupreme

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw the ones on Esveld their site and was thinking about getting one. But they don't have any pictures of the actual stock. And especially considering they are most likely grafted I'm curious as to what you can expect. Do you have a picture of yours you could share? Either in pm, here, or in the 'recent purchases' topic?

Edit:
Also, to add something more on topic, nice tree Jelle, looking forward to see its future!
I ordered one, picking it up on the 21st

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I meant just with an overview of your different maples, not a full progression tracking, I understand it is hard to do a video log (+ editing) of everything.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like what you have done with the tree thus far, but I couldn't help myself! That would be an amazing multi-trunk composition if you air layered it!!!

Attachments

• 20230324-R14A5619-72.jpg
    20230324-R14A5619-72.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 80

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Afeter have seen this video

And having seen this couple of Sergio's post

EBIHARA BRANCH RELOCATION

Arakawa Japanese Maple

I only have a question: Do you have the nuts? 😂😂

View attachment 522468

View attachment 522467

Cheers!
Thx, but no thanks. :) This is a trunk with minimal visible scarring. I am not plannong on removing any larger branches, and will develop it from this main structure. I am looking into removing some secondaries and possibly reducing a primary in length and dominance. Buut.. Nothing as drastic as what you propose here.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thx, but no thanks. :) This is a trunk with minimal visible scarring. I am not plannong on removing any larger branches, and will develop it from this main structure. I am looking into removing some secondaries and possibly reducing a primary in length and dominance. Buut.. Nothing as drastic as what you propose here.
Really nice tree. The proposal was cool, but I think Mach5 makes the branch relocation look too easy - LOL.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somentime the fear of wounds is worse than the wounds themselves.
Screenshot_20231228_174516_Brave.jpg

They can be easily sealed, especially in this cultivar. If you also graft a new branch onto the edge of the cut, the proccess will be relatively Quick.
Look again at Sergio's theads and start preparing the material for the layering and grafting.
2024 for the layers and graft the seedling in the branches.
2025 for insert the branches in the new position...
...All the rest of your life to improve the New stunning tree. Otherwise the flaws will haunt you in your Dreams for the rest of your days.
Now you know what must be done, and how to do it, so do it or don't. Your tree, your decisions.

And futhermore you would sell the airlayers to the crows which always are looking for leftovers!!

Cheers!

Last edited:

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're okay with slightly different foliage there are other Acer Palmatum cultivars that have cork bark as well. Nishikigawa is quite nice provided you're okay with a more compact fan shape to the leaf. Legends say it corks up faster than Arakawa as well but that's a totally unsubstantiated claim to my knowledge.
It does bark up a lot faster but thats a two edged sword. While its cool to get it to bark up, you end up having less time to get ramification to happen since once it barks up you usually don't get much back budding if any. Nishiki also happens to be more finicky for me in the sense its not as strong of a grower and the growth tends to be more leggy at the ends. So I end up having to make more aggressive stance when pruning.

I used to like Nishiki better because of its rarity but not anymore.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After watching the video, I think im with the idea of growing up the central trunk. But I think I would still reduce the right trunk to maybe the first shoot on it and begin training/growing out that shoot.

Top Bottom