Rebuilt my website

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

As my old website was showing signs of old age, something we would like in bonsai, but not in websites, I decided to do an overhaul. I realize that some main sections do not have content resulting in an error, and will have to decide how I will tackle those. But the main site should work.

Would love to hear your ideas on how to make this site better and/or any issues you encounter using it.

http://www.growingbonsai.net

Jelle.

Jurriemr2

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Good Morning,

I like the side. Have been Reading iT fore 20 minutes. I also subscribed to the side.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi All,

As my old website was showing signs of old age, something we would like in bonsai, but not in websites, I decided to do an overhaul. I realize that some main sections do not have content resulting in an error, and will have to decide how I will tackle those. But the main site should work.

Would love to hear your ideas on how to make this site better and/or any issues you encounter using it.

http://www.growingbonsai.net

Jelle.
Very cool!
I'll have to spend some time checking it out later.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like it, I have been working on one, too. It is surprising how much time it takes to put it all together, well at least for me, I have to figure everything out as I go.

Reaction score
Looking sharp Jelle! Way better and by the time than the previous one.
There's this grey letters on the dark green background that's not very readable, but for the rest your site is perfectly cool!
Screenshot_2017-12-26-14-11-45.png

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks pretty darn good on my PC Jelle :) I signed up just now and only have one suggestion as you proceed with your project. Although the top banner when clicked on takes you to the Home Page a Home Button on the bottom of all pages would be most useful for user navigation.

Have fun with it!

Grimmy

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking really good! I am building a website myself. In the process I am having to re-educate, no, really educate myself. I'm a month in and I can recognize most of your work. Very nicely arranged, well done! Very much how I would like my site to look and function.
If I have learned one thing so far, that would be that if you want more than just a blog, you got to cough up some dough!

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!!!

Just subscribed to your website. Since we're both using Wordpress you might want to consider subscribing to my new very amateuristic blog http://shumibonsai.wordpress.com
Not because of the useful info you won't find there but just because it will make me feel a little better about maintaining this blog ;)

Also the link to the "building a growbox" tutorial at the bottom of this page sends me to an error page: http://www.growingbonsai.net/growing/repotting/why-a-growbox-for-bonsai/

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is surprising how much time it takes to put it all together, well at least for me,
I know! I used to build the whole backend myself too (tthe CMS). But then I realized.. I spent WAY more time on getting the site to work properly than on any content.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Way better and by the time than the previous one.
Thanks. Hope you are notsaying you did not like the previous version ya kiwi! ;)
grey letters on the dark green background that's not very readable
Fixed it, thx!

a Home Button on the bottom of all pages would be most useful
Good idea. Added one to the main menu

Looks pretty darn good on my PC
Supah!

that would be that if you want more than just a blog, you got to cough up some dough
Yeah, a good template to work from saves you a lot of time fine-tuning

What CMS are you using
I used to run it using my home-built CMS. But as I realized building the site took more time than adding content, I moveed to wordpress.

the link to the "building a growbox" tutorial at the bottom of this page
Fixed the link. Thanks!

Good one, good source of info
Great you like it. If you have any suggestions, or would like some of your own work featured, let me know.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay...gotta admit. I really understood this explanation...I got it.
Excerpt from your website:
“To understand what happens in winter to a tree standing in full wind and sun, let’s take a mental exercise. I think all of us have once had a cold drink with ice cubes in them. And as a kid many of us have player with the ice cubes: Using a straw you drink until an ice cube blocks the straw. You can then even lift the ice cube out of your drink. No drink enters the straw. Now let’s take this to your tree in winter. The sap in the tree is fluid, and evaporates. In the sun, branches warm up very rapidly, and in combination with the wind, the tree evaporates a lot more than in a sheltered position. However, the root ball of the tree is frozen: All the water is solid in the form of ice, and cannot be pulled into the roots of the plant. As such, the tree loses a lot of water, but is unable to bring water up. As a result, the tree slowly dries out.”
Thanks for a clear explanation!
Good current information. Nicely pulled together. Easy to navigate. Subjects are interconnected well to promote further reading on or related to a subject.
Mighty fine!

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Nice site. I'm using wordpress' hosting service but will migrate offline in the future. I'm using up the provided storage space fast and it would be cheaper to pay for a separate hosting and storage service. At the end of my wordpress subscription I'll make the move.

You've got lots of nice content. I've been slacking recently and it's been hard to get out a lot of posts. Got a lot of projects cooking this and some juicy announcements.

Top Bottom