Received 3 pines for birthday, what species?

bonsaikorea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi, I received these 3 pines for my birthday yesterday. I'd like to know what type of pines they are so I can take good care of them and develop a plan for their lives. Can someone help me identify these? I believe all 3 are the same.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is very difficult to accurately ID very young pines but we should be able to work out which group they belong to based on the number of needles.
Take a close look at the needles (leaves) on each tree. You will see that individual needles grow from a little sheath at the branch. There should be either 2, 3 or 5 needles in most bunches.
The new shoots on the last picture look like one of the white pines with 5 needles per sheath. Resolution is not good enough to make out the others.

bonsaikorea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is very difficult to accurately ID very young pines but we should be able to work out which group they belong to based on the number of needles.
Take a close look at the needles (leaves) on each tree. You will see that individual needles grow from a little sheath at the branch. There should be either 2, 3 or 5 needles in most bunches.
The new shoots on the last picture look like one of the white pines with 5 needles per sheath. Resolution is not good enough to make out the others.

Oh great, you're right! All 3 trees have 5 needles coming out from each shoot. Neat, I didn't even notice that number was the same. Thanks!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
5 needles cuts the number of possible species considerably but still could be any of around 30 species, mostly from Americas or Asia.
I would try following care for Japanese White Pines and hope yours will respond well if they are not JWP.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
ShiBui gave you good advice. Follow general care as for Japanese white pine. If you are in the USA or Canada, I suspect that they are Pinus strobus, American or Eastern white pine. They could also be Pinus flexilis, Limber pine. They could also be Japanese white pine, or even Korean nut pine. Depending on how creative your source was obtaining these seedlings. Why don't you ask them? . An identity would be helpful, as there are subtle differences between all the 5 needle pine species.

But if you follow general techniques for Japanese white pine you will do no harm.

bonsaikorea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks a lot everyone! I am actually in Korea, so it could be Korean Nut Pine. I will study about how to care for Japanese White Pines, and see if I can nail down an exact identity further. Thanks again!

Top Bottom