Received New Seedlings - What Do I Do With Them??

EricainDC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not totally new to bonsai - I have 6 tropicals that are really happy inside. But I want to expand and so I ordered two plants that arrived today. I was not expecting them so soon so I haven't done my homework! I got a Sekka Hinoki Cypress prebonsai and a Koto Hime Japanese Maple seedling. They both came with the root ball wrapped in saran wrap. The cypress is pretty large and is not a seedling but a pre-bonsai. The maple is a seedling. I'm in Northern Virginia and they've been raised in Rochester, NY. My plan is to unwrap them, put them in a pot with their rootball in tact with bonsai potting mix to fill around the edges, and keep them outside on the screened in porch until I'm ready to deal with them. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with though...

1. Is that how to handle these new plants?

2. Is now the wrong time to shape/wire the Sekka Hinoki Cypress? I thought I'd pot it in a similar size pot to what it was obviously grown in and let it adapt a bit before messing with it, but if I can go ahead and mess with it that will be a fun weekend project.

3. I know cypresses suffer from brown leaves. I have a few non-bonsai ones. I love them anyway. But this one seems to have a lot of brown - do you think its ok? I've attached some pictures. Any tips on making it happier or again do I just wait it out until spring?

Thank you so much for putting up with newbie questions. I have a pretty good track record with my indoor bonsai, but the world out outdoor bonsai is exciting and kind of vast. I'm reading a lot but need to dive in with some trees.

Attachments

• Brown Cyprus 3.jpg
    Brown Cyprus 3.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 43
  • PreBonsai Cyprus.jpg
    PreBonsai Cyprus.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Cyprus Brown 1.jpg
    Cyprus Brown 1.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 42

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your Hinoki looks fine. Losing inside foliage is to be expected. Sometimes is is more than other times even plant to plant. Your plan sounds fine for this. Just don't let in get too dry or sit in water which is worse. I would think that the Hinoki would even be fine totally outside. The maple you should be more concerned about. You need to keep that dormant for a while yet, judged by how other trees are responding in your area. I have no maple seedlings this year, other than those that have already weathered the winter. If I did, I would probably keep them in the fridge for a few weeks.

EricainDC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you so much for your response!!! It has been a really weird winter here. It was 65 yesterday. The trees on my deck have buds. My dogwood has some buds. Downtown some of the Yoshino cherries are flowering. I'm not stupid enough to think that we won't get blistering cold, though. Probably well after the typical last frost date - such has been the last few years around here. I'll move the maple to the garage for a few more weeks though just to be safe.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know about the weather here, I am only a short distance from you, probably 30 to 50 miles.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Use the BNut Site Search function, search for the names, there's a number of threads with lots of details. Then after reading a bit, ask questions.

Be sure to read up on generic Hinoki - Chamaecyparis obtusa, much there is applicable to 'Sekka'.

In Maples sub forum, read up on all the 'Hime' types dwarf JM maples, they all have similar congested foliage.

EricainDC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks - I spent a lot of time deliberating over types of trees to get, so I appreciate hearing that I made wise choices :) I plan to scour these forums prior to doing anything to my new babies. Other than of course getting them into proper pots and taking care of them through winter. I appreciate the help so much!

EricainDC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on my new seedlings. A squirrel pulled my Japanese maple seedling out of its pot and chewed it up. It actually happened twice - I repotted it the next day and it pulled it out again. It hasn't recovered and a scratch test yesterday, a few weeks after the stupid squirrel incident, revealed a very sad brown interior. I did not fully appreciate the damage that squirrel did. I ordered 2 new seedlings to replace one dead one which seems like a sustainable bonsai habit. I got a rough bark Japanese maple and a buttercup winterhazel. I haven't figured out how I'm going to protect against squirrels yet. Should I tie them down with twine when I first plant them until they are more settled into their pot?

I did a very very very crude/basic attempt at styling the sekka hinoki that I'm too ashamed to even show anyone, but that tree is doing really well. Hoping to keep styling it gradually until its pretty enough for a picture.

khundley

Seedling
Reaction score
I've had good success with sprinkling cayenne pepper in my plants when the rodents get curious. They stay away.

Top Bottom