200.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC06493.jpg
    DSC06493.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 101

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dam Sam, tell the truth you stole that from some Japanese master or a museum. :) That's a seriously beautiful Shimp man.

ed

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Very nice!
You need to compact the pads and bring the foliage a bit closer to the trunk.
I can see you are going with more naturalistic style with it. I am more traditional.
I would love to see where you take it from Now.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice!
You need to compact the pads and bring the foliage a bit closer to the trunk.
I can see you are going with more naturalistic style with it. I am more traditional.
I would love to see where you take it from Now.

I think he may have just gotten it. Yes it needs to be "crushed" in my opinion

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
One more thing. The tree has a fantastic ravaged trunk...but the crown is just too symmetrical.
Junipers come from harsh conditions in the mountains. They are supposed to show that...and the best way to that is to unbalance the tree.
Make one of the first primary branches longer than the other.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice trunk on that one...looks like a roller coaster!

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
I think he may have just gotten it. Yes it needs to be "crushed" in my opinion

maybe in a year or so, the tree will be healthy and solid in the pot. plenty of time to visualize how the "new " tree should look.

best wishes, sam

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I for one disagree with the naysayers. That specimen is very nice and can be "great" in a few simple steps and a short amount of time. I know you have the ability and the time so I am happy that specimen has a home with a great owner ;)

Grimmy

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I for one disagree with the naysayers. That specimen is very nice and can be "great" in a few simple steps and a short amount of time. I know you have the ability and the time so I am happy that specimen has a home with a great owner ;)

Grimmy

I don't believe there are any naysayers. Everyone is complimenting how amazing the tree is. I think Neli didn't realize that the tree needs to recover first before beginning the design phase

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't believe there are any naysayers. Everyone is complimenting how amazing the tree is. I think Neli didn't realize that the tree needs to recover first before beginning the design phase

right on, nathan.

the tree was repotted on 1/24, so it'll be awhile before any hands on occurs. this tree is stock material, grown for bonsai, but not styled in any particular way at this point. I just posted the results of work on another shimpaku which I believe follows neli's suggestions of how a a "traditional" juniper might look.

best wishes, sam

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
yes

best wishes, sam

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
sharing some pictures of a XXL shimpaku

best wishes, sam

right on, nathan.

the tree was repotted on 1/24, so it'll be awhile before any hands on occurs. this tree is stock material, grown for bonsai, but not styled in any particular way at this point. I just posted the results of work on another shimpaku which I believe follows neli's suggestions of how a a "traditional" juniper might look.

best wishes, sam
I could not have known that any way from the first post. And what I wrote is just observations for the future.
Good luck Sum. Lovely material to work on. I am just surpised that more growers dont do them like that in The USA.

Top Bottom