recent purchase-some elm cuttings

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so after ditching the home depot jwp i decided to get these elm cuttings.
they're small but from the growth i've seen from my elm seedlings in one year-they won't be small for long.

i got 2 seiju, 1 corticosa and 1 yatsubusa they didn't come labeled if anyone can tell them apart i'd appreciate it.

P1060936.JPG P1060937.JPG P1060938.JPG P1060939.JPG P1060940.JPG

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
my son spotted what he said is mold on one of them(i'm color blind and don't pick up on these things easily)
should i be worried about this?what should i do about it?P1060941.JPG

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I had to guess, I would say the middle 2 are seiju, but not sure about the other 2. Number 3 is definitely seiju. Get rid of the mold before winter storage, or it will spread to other plants. You can use a fungicide like Daconil or Copper.

As an aside, I like to treat all plants when I first get them for both fungus and pests, including in the soil, so they don't infect my other plants. I think it is just a good practice.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
dilute lime sulphur is good now too.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
None of those look like corticosa to me....it is not a dwarf and should have much larger leaves. In my experience yatsubusa has a narrower leaf than seiju...but can still be difficult to distinguish from seiju.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first single plant pic looks like yatsubusa. The leaf has a peculiar shape compared to other elms.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
thanks for the help-the 2 mids do seemed similar to me right away so i think stan may be right that they are seiju.

i just did a search on yatsu's and i see what you mean about the leaves.

so i'm guessing # 4 is corticosa

Top Bottom