Recent work on a collected yew (taxus)

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
This is a yew I collected from a hedge row about 3 years ago, and this year I decided to do some work on it... this one had much of its foliage strength on one side, so I decided to use the weaker side for dead wood features.
This is the tree before starting...
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG

I cleaned up the bark a bit, and roughed in some of the dead wood...
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG

Next, I removed some of the taller branches, leaving some in case they could be used as deadwood features later, and put some wire on a few of the branches...

IMG_0396.JPG

A closer image of the base...looks a little 'Jabba the Hut'-ish...

IMG_0387.JPG

And a rough virt of the potential future...

IMG_0025.JPG

I welcome thoughts!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the movement in the base.
Because it is present.

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thats a nice tree- just wear a mask if your dremel it as the wood or bark is not good for you. Very nice nebari

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Very nice, looking forward to your next steps in its development.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the movement in the base.
Because it is present.

Sorce
Fo' Shizzel My Nizzel!!! Great base/trunk... Play nicely with it. :)

Sidenote, the container, I noticed the top lip broke off, and I laugh cause I had the samething happen to me a few times( on one it caused an emergency repot), I have since become more cautious of plastic(thickness in particular) and what and how I move trees around. That would be a good thread, if not already, what everyone has attempted to use for "pots"

Just Sayin'

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
UV safe in more particular!

The concrete mixing tubs from the Depot are good and cheap. @Mellow Mullet uses oil pans.

Sorce

I have a few of those Crete tubs, and mentioned in another thread that I work in sheet metal fab. so I am getting the guys together and having some pots made up, perf. material. st/st, alum. got a few different ideas, and always excepting more!? but first one will be a st/st/ completely perf. material aka:mesh. and no stainless doesn't rust, plus I'm getting have them Electropolished and then maybe painted with an epoxy paint(its like thin rubber coating.) big repot season coming up. hopefully will have my new camera by then, and will pass the love on.
Do we really do all this innovation to grow small trees as fast and thick as possible?! haha Welcome to.........what again? hahaha

Pssst.... crazy!

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
UV safe in more particular!

The concrete mixing tubs from the Depot are good and cheap. @Mellow Mullet uses oil pans.

Sorce

I generally use oil pans too, but larger collected trees have too much root mass to fit in directly after collecting... this tree hasn’t had any work done to the roots since collecting about 4 years ago, and I think the holes in the outside allow a lot of the benefits to the roots that pond baskets do, but larger... I generally only move the trees around twice a year from protected to out on the benches and back again...I actually think this pot handle broke when I was simply rotating it for sun exposure which I do periodically throughout the growing season. I purchased a larger size mica pot for this to go in, maybe this spring or the next...

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
Fo' Shizzel My Nizzel!!! Great base/trunk... Play nicely with it. :)

Sidenote, the container, I noticed the top lip broke off, and I laugh cause I had the samething happen to me a few times( on one it caused an emergency repot), I have since become more cautious of plastic(thickness in particular) and what and how I move trees around. That would be a good thread, if not already, what everyone has attempted to use for "pots"

Just Sayin'

So far I’ve been lucky with these types of pots breaking without catastrophe... they do break regularly... i set back a nice collected juniper when it fell after a break but it is coming along nicely now five years later!

Top Bottom