Recently Collected Larch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found the first 4 of these larch this spring and the last one last spring. I have only been doing bonsai for a little over a year. Looking for some tips on caring for these trees and future styling. I washed off almost all of the existing soil and planted them in a mix of 80% turface and the rest compost in large pots. Just looking for some honest feedback and pointers. Love this site so far, I am trying to soak up as much as I can. Thanks!

Attachments

• image (23).jpeg
    image (23).jpeg
    424 KB · Views: 44
  • image (24).jpeg
    image (24).jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image (25).jpeg
    image (25).jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 41
  • image (26).jpeg
    image (26).jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image (27).jpeg
    image (27).jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 42

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Generally you don't want to wash out the roots on conifers. You just gently rack out the dirt, the replace with new bonsai soil. With turface try to avoid solid organic fertalizers as it can cause issues and dry spots, use liquid types. For now I wouldnt worry about styling, just keep the trees happy, watered and fed well. Once they are strong in about 1-2 years or so, then worry about how to style them. Until then just research and study the trees.

The one you got last year you can start ratifying if it's growing strong and well. These are nice trees if this is your first year into bonsai. Great stock and a good species!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good grabs! I bareroot them right away and go at the roots mercilessly. They grow roots! Repots every year are in order.
You got ones with some taper to them. Don't be afraid to cut them low to build taper. The grow fast so a new leader catches up to the trunk fast.
Keep in full sun. They are also one of the most cold hardy trees you can have. Overwintering is a breeze. Just leave it where it sits. Mine saw negative 35 degrees last winter and woke up refreshed.
They bend easy so you can wire larger branches.
When it comes time for a final pot think small. You need to reign in all of that growing power by restricting the roots.
These are one of my favorite trees to work with. They are easy and make killer bonsai.
Good luck!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Generally you don't want to wash out the roots on conifers. You just gently rack out the dirt, the replace with new bonsai soil. With turface try to avoid solid organic fertalizers as it can cause issues and dry spots, use liquid types. For now I wouldnt worry about styling, just keep the trees happy, watered and fed well. Once they are strong in about 1-2 years or so, then worry about how to style them. Until then just research and study the trees.

The one you got last year you can start ratifying if it's growing strong and well. These are nice trees if this is your first year into bonsai. Great stock and a good species!

These are unlike any conifer in regards to roots. Treat them like a decidious tree. The ones I collect the muck just falls off right away at collection any ways. These are Tamaracks I'm talking about. I don't know a thing about the other more sissy like Larches such as Japanese,Western or European. I hear they are kind of delicate compared to these.
Bare root the Tamaracks though. They like it. They're like elms with needles.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, so far I really like this species too! I found these along the side of the road and most had been cut by a mower in a ditch. I am planning to cut them lower to get some good taper but I wasn't sure if I should wait to do so to help the vigor of the tree? I want to make them happy in there new pots.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I only have one but I am dying to get out to Eastern Washington to collect some. I concur with Mike. The one I have was from a mom and pop shop in the discount corner. I beat the hell out of it, treated like it was a trident, and it has yet to show any signs of stress. By the way,..that fourth one there looks like it's going to give you some challenges. You can send it to me if you want to get rid of it.;)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, so far I really like this species too! I found these along the side of the road and most had been cut by a mower in a ditch. I am planning to cut them lower to get some good taper but I wasn't sure if I should wait to do so to help the vigor of the tree? I want to make them happy in there new pots.

Just remember to cut no lower than the bottom branch.

Top Bottom