Recently purchased azalea. Advice

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello everyone as the title says I recently purchased an azalea and I am looking for some tips and advice on what you would do with the material.
I am thinking of removing a couple of the very large branches and even trying to see if I can wire up and bend any of them. The larger ones do feel like I can bend them a little bit but they are a little too straight and large so idk if they will move into any shape I might like.
There is one photo that has what I think I am going to call the future leader of the tree. I plan on leaving h that part mostly alone and hope for it to grow taller as well as thicker there for the distant future.

I am thinking to possibly cut most of the lower branches which obscure the trunk line. Also thinking of maybe keeping it in this type of container or something similar and placing it ontop of a large grow bag so it can root a little into a larger soil basin to grow more vigorously. It's either something like that or getting it into a bonsai pot at the very end if winter/beginning if spring with an attempt to lightly wire the plant Maybe mid spring ish. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220210_151725.jpg
    20220210_151725.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220210_152029.jpg
    20220210_152029.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220210_152033.jpg
    20220210_152033.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220210_152036.jpg
    20220210_152036.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220210_152042.jpg
    20220210_152042.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220210_153143.jpg
    20220210_153143.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 67

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a plan. Watch the wire , azaleas are brittle.
Grow bags are great but I see no advantage and possibly some detriment to placing a pot in a bag. It just sounds counterintuitive to me. Just plant it in new fresh mix in the bag.
Best luck.

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sounds like a plan. Watch the wire , azaleas are brittle.
Grow bags are great but I see no advantage and possibly some detriment to placing a pot in a bag. It just sounds counterintuitive to me. Just plant it in new fresh mix in the bag.
Best luck.
I was thinking of placing the pot on the bag because it will limit the root ball but still allow for some of the roots to grow more freely idk. Haha not sure. I've seen Peter chan let his maples in containers grow into the ground to thicken them a little faster.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking of placing the pot on the bag because it will limit the root ball but still allow for some of the roots to grow more freely idk. Haha not sure. I've seen Peter chan let his maples in containers grow into the ground to thicken them a little faster.
Understood. But the pot in a bag makes no sense. I use lots of bags and lots of pots. I have dozens of bags in the ground. I have dozens of pots in mulch or wood chips.
Peter Chan does the pot on ground to let roots escape. So do a million other people.

Bonsaipadawan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think that's what my intentions are to put a pot on a bag to let roots escape my yard is entirely concrete I live in nyc.
I am really excited for this azalea. All my others have very thin trunks in comparison. Thank you so much for your feedback 🙂

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a deciduous azalea.

It might be a good idea to check out the deciduous azalea techniques thread before moving on. It’s also why the branches are a bit wider then others.

I think you’ll find out deciduous azaleas act differently then evergreen azaleas and are styled differently.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can check out my deciduous azalea and what I did here. I have experimented with them and I'm developing my second one as my first one died from trying to do an exposed root.

Top Bottom