Reciprocating saw

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would like to get one of these to use for bonsai. Any suggestions on what to get from those that have used for bonsai before? I have a large trident that is going to need some heavy duty root work come spring. Thanks

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like to get one of these to use for bonsai. Any suggestions on what to get from those that have used for bonsai before? I have a large trident that is going to need some heavy duty root work come spring. Thanks
If you'll be using it strictly for bonsai, get whatever is cheapest and on sale. Having it battery operated won't make it as cumbersome.
The small one handed reciprocating saws from any brand should do the trick. All the big manufacturers have a small version.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I should add, use the bimetal blades as you'll have a cleaner cut with less tearing. Downside is, the teeth will get gunked up quicker.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ever consider a Fein tool (think most manufactures make something similar)
Cleaner cuts and much easier to control. Lots of attachment options as well.
Just a thought....
Fein.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used Harbor Freight for collecting tools. I considered those single year, disposable tools given the likelihood that I'd drop one off a cliff or into a swamp. At home though, I use Dewalt, corded since access to power isn't an issue. I've been very happy with it.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I used Harbor Freight for collecting tools. I considered those single year, disposable tools given the likelihood that I'd drop one off a cliff or into a swamp. At home though, I use Dewalt, corded since access to power isn't an issue
I purchased an HF cordless and its been very disappointing. The amount of reciprication is very short, maybe an inch. Not worth using almost.
CW

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ever consider a Fein tool (think most manufactures make something similar)
Cleaner cuts and much easier to control. Lots of attachment options as well.
Just a thought....
View attachment 126467
I have a dremel similar to this. Not going to cut it. Literally. We are talking closer to a 2' base that will need to be cut. Also never used a battery recip saw. Do they have the power to get the job done?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have a dremel similar to this. Not going to cut it. Literally.
Perhaps there's something wrong with it... Been a GC for 20 years. We replaced the Sawzall with these for doing everything except demo. But if you need to just rip through something... a sawzall is great... even the battery powered ones.

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perhaps there's something wrong with it... Been a GC for 20 years. We replaced the Sawzall with these for doing everything except demo. But if you need to just rip through something... a sawzall is great... even the battery powered ones.
Just saying I don't believe the blade on a dreamel is long enough to make one smooth cut for the diameter tree I'm hoping to use it on. Curious what sort of diameter you'd be able to cut with this sort of tool.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a dremel similar to this. Not going to cut it. Literally. We are talking closer to a 2' base that will need to be cut. Also never used a battery recip saw. Do they have the power to get the job done?

Comparing a Fein MultiMaster to a Dremel just means you haven't used/seen the Fein. They are a completely different animal. It's kinda like comparing a 20v cordless DeWalt drill to a Dremel. Sure they both drill stuff, but they exist on a completely different plane.

That said... a MultiMaster is a serious tool, with a serious price tag to match. For the specific and infrequent use that you want to use it for, I would just go with the cheapest possible reciprocating saw and call it a day. Don't pay extra for cordless - corded will be fine unless you intend to use it a lot more than what you are suggesting.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Curious what sort of diameter you'd be able to cut with this sort of tool.
It would be more question as to how deep you need to cut..... I believe the depth of the cutting blades are around 3".

Random User

Reaction score
I use the Mikita brand of cordless tools reciprocating saw, angle grinder, drills, all work really well. They are exceptional (batt powered tools of any make) for jamadori, but if you aren't going to take them into the field, corded tools work the same... but the cord might be a PITA at times. For root work in particular, I shorten heavy roots with the reciprocating saw, then grind them flat (and down to size) with the angle grinder and a 40,60, or 80 grit flapper disc... works pretty darn fast, and good...

Personally, I find that I don't damage the upper part of the tree as much because I am focused on the root-work when I use the angle grinder, and there isn't the near the vibration the reciprocating saw induces... BUT, you have to find the tools that work for you and the material you work on.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a reciprocating saw for collecting but not for root work on a tree that is already in a box or pot. The vibration can be difficult to work with, it's better if you have someone who can hold the tree if you must use that tool. I have used a chain saw for large scale root work, with little trouble. I have a small one and a big one. Once again get someone to help you.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Comparing a Fein MultiMaster to a Dremel just means you haven't used/seen the Fein. They are a completely different animal. It's kinda like comparing a 20v cordless DeWalt drill to a Dremel. Sure they both drill stuff, but they exist on a completely different plane.

Also like comparing a dremel to a variable speed Makita die grinder.
I have both.

Guess which one I use for the big jobs where I need to take off alot of wood and which one I use for the small intricate detail jobs.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I recommend Rigid when buying cordless. They guarantee the batteries for life.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Dewalt 20v, a Milwaukee corded sawzall and a Bosch oscillating tool similar to the fein posted above. The fein/Bosch is good for precision cuts. Downside blades are ridiculously expensive, but for trim work and fine detailed cuts its boss.
Thick trunks, use a reciprocating saw. If you're out in the field the battery operated one will serve you fine as long as you're not cutting all day with it, in which case an extra battery will help. I have both the 18v Dewalt and the 20v lithium Dewalt. The 20v is lighter and lasts longer. But day to day I use the Milwaukee corded.
Get one of those small one handed ones and get a big 12" blade. That's all you need. If you plan on using it for more serious work other than cutting tap roots on a few trees, then spend the extra money and get a Dewalt/Milwaukee/Bosch/makita. From their "pro" lines.
Or if you're a weekend warrior get a rigid.

Top Bottom