Recommendation for root stimulator

Slmr38

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So it looks like my azalea crisis is on the upswing. I treated it for soil aphids and took it to Timeless Trees in Rosenberg, TX got some amazing help with repotting and pruning etc. A root stimulator was suggested to me to help my tree adjust and grow but I can't remember what it was called, any recommendations? Liquinox Start or Superthrive?

Thanks so much for everyone who has been helping me this week, it is greatly appreciated!

- Stephanie

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have never used a root stimulator, so I cannot offer advice on them, other than I think that they are unnecessary. I did one time, years ago, pick up some superthrive in a Kmart clearance bin and used it, I came to the conclusion that it is nothing more that "snake oil", it really doesn't do anything other than liberate money from your wallet, lol.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fert I Lome Root Stimulator. Once burned some trees to death:rolleyes:with over zealous full strength use on foliage as well as roots. Presently flood repotted tree with H2O, once drained out water well ONCE with half strength solution;). Keep OFF foliage!

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've also tried it with 6 trees, 3 of which were treated and saw no difference.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello everyone,

So it looks like my azalea crisis is on the upswing. I treated it for soil aphids and took it to Timeless Trees in Rosenberg, TX got some amazing help with repotting and pruning etc. A root stimulator was suggested to me to help my tree adjust and grow but I can't remember what it was called, any recommendations? Liquinox Start or Superthrive?

Thanks so much for everyone who has been helping me this week, it is greatly appreciated!

- Stephanie

Hi Stephanie. All I can tell you about superthrive is that it smells like something I might like if I were a tree. I don’t use it personally, but some people swear by it. Whatever it does, it’s secondary to good care. I’d suggest focussing on proper watering - that’s where things go south with new people, not lack of superthrive use. Here are some tips:
  1. Water the soil, not the foliage.
  2. Azalea like to be moist, but not dripping wet. The kanuma will change color when it gets dry. Watch for this and water only when necessary
  3. When we get those week long periods of heavy rain, move it under cover. Warm, wet, high humidity conditions can cause fungal issues. Those are really hard to fix when you get them
  4. Don’t do anymore pruning for now. Hopefully new growth will emerge. You want to let this extend and harden off. Strong growth = healthy tree
Good luck and I hope to,see you at one of our club meetings!
S

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Drought simulation (letting soil dry a little more than regular) is the best root stimulator. Second to that are auxins, but every external application doesn't only affect the roots, it affects the entire plant.
Time is the third best root stimulator; throw in a few months and you'll see that they've grown a lot.

As for superthrive: I've been gardening 15 years without it, I think I can manage another 50+ years.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Super throve appears to be a mix of vitamin B1, a couple synthetic auxins, and some phosphorus, along with soem kelp and a thickening agent—similar to Rhizotonic.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I little tickling usually stimulates my root.

Top Bottom