Recommendation... Your Favorite Gardening Gloves for Pruning, etc.?

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Can you guys recommend me some good gloves for gardening and pruning?

Most of my plants are thorn-less… but I do have 1 lemon-tree (thorns) that occasionally gets trimmed and I’m also growing some pyracantha cuttings that may get big in the future and need trimming too.
I do have prickly SJ junipers and JBPs too.

I also have tons of 2-3” beach pebbles and gravel I occasionally have to move around (especially if I have to plant something in-ground; it then needs to be moved to the side for digging and re-layed). Also, I sometimes buy small boulders and move/set them.

Also re-potting of course. I have maybe 200 nursery pots (numbers growing, since I started to propagate cuttings). I have much much more nursery pots than in-ground woody plants (probably only 14 old in-ground dwarf trees... rest are large nursery pots).

Just looking for good quality gloves that can handle those things. All my current suede-like gloves are toast and full of holes.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the Pacific NW I need tough water resistant or proof gloves for later fall through early spring. Last year we bought these gloves and they have good dexterity and hold up for tough jobs. These
are still in one piece after a long wet season of moving gravel and dirt around and can be used for bigger pruning. Still water proof too! That never happens...

image.jpg
For non wet times when I need gloves I use good quality leather gloves. They are tough, but I’ve likely destroyed at least one pair a year for the past 30 years now.
image.jpg
... It’s the cost of doing business in a dirty world
Good luck
DSD sends

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These are my all around favorite gloves. Stihl. The gloves on the left are about 4 years old now. Still working just fine. And the right is the same gloves but brand new. The flexibility of the gloves is amazing. The palm of the glove is the smooth deerskin while the back is deerskin but reversed. Somehow it increases the softness. Great for wiping my forehead. These are my rain or shine gloves. The leather is soft enough that I get a good touch....even for a garage door keypad. However, as great as they are....I still pull them off for most bonsai pruning. I do use them for the chores of root pruning, digging out trees, heavy duty branch cuts and moving boxes around (the gloves give me a better grip). My favorites. I have several new pairs just in case Stihl changes the materials.

Attachments

• A225F0B0-8250-495E-8A1E-146EF5E6DE53.jpeg
    A225F0B0-8250-495E-8A1E-146EF5E6DE53.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 27

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As a farm-boy for the FIRST formative years, as well as working in a fish house.. i PERSONALLY find the loss of dexterity, when wearing gloves infuriating.

Having said this, understand that my hands look like crap... always covered in rough, old scars... this DOES mean that my hands haven’t blistered or “bothered” me with tiny cuts in a while, like them city boys do. 😂😂😂😆😆😆

One can’t have comfort without discomfort.

If one never wears gloves eventually they won’t be needed.

That said, I do wear gloves when I’m handling organophosphates.

@NOZZLE HEAD ,you summed it up perfectly.

Just a preferential choice, it seems.

I’d still wear gloves, for the second half of “baling”.. .. and cleaning mass amounts of half frozen fish.. (those infections are no joke)

If i could do it over, I’d probably ALWAYS wear gloves.. but my hands, now, are fairly familiar with abuse.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use these gloves for root pruning and repotting. Very light in weight. But strong to last quite awhile. A light rubberized palm and a breathable back. A lot of Lycra keeps the gloves snug on my hands. The rubber provides a good grip for cleaning the roots and handling the garden hose on jet spray. Much tougher than a light glove of Nytril or Latex......and offers great finger dexterity. Sold in six-packs at stores such as Lowe’s. Not expensive. Handy around the house....excellent for weed pulling.

Attachments

• 6EEDE135-5374-4754-9A7A-F084582A8471.jpeg
    6EEDE135-5374-4754-9A7A-F084582A8471.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 22

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I use these gloves for root pruning and repotting. Very light in weight. But strong to last quite awhile. A light rubberized palm and a breathable back. A lot of Lycra keeps the gloves snug on my hands. The rubber provides a good grip for cleaning the roots and handling the garden hose on jet spray. Much tougher than a light glove of Nytril or Latex......and offers great finger dexterity. Sold in six-packs at stores such as Lowe’s. Not expensive. Handy around the house....excellent for weed pulling.

Those are sexy!

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't wear gardening-gloves, but only because my old leather ones are worn with holes in them and missing fingers. But, I do wear super thin medical green/blue gloves; but only to keep my hands from getting dirty of sap (5-8 hours of JBP needle plucking, etc.). My biggest peev with water-proof or 100% rubber/nitrile gloves is that my hands/skin are completely wrinkle soaked with sweat inside. I also don't like the loss of dexterity with the bulkier leather gloves.

But, I still want good gloves for heavy gardening work and handling rocks, boulders, bricks, thorny plants, etc. Those thin medical gloves last only a few mins when handling hard stones, pebbles, rocks, etc.
Good gloves are also useful in the garage or around the house - handling sharp sheet-metal, stiff galvanized wire, metal blades, glass, lumber, etc.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those are sexy!
I think it’s the subtle touch of the thumb of the glove on the right to the little finger of the other glove. Notice how the palm facing glove fingers flinch away from the touch point. Sort of an....Oh my!

...we could be drifting off the post intention just a little.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Maybe it’s a Florida thing but most of us like fishing gloves! When we bother, too hot for gloves most of the time! They’re like shoes, shirts and sometimes pants! Only when we have to!

Pic failed, it’s dark, I put them up already... just check out fishmonkey.com

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
I ended up ordering these... good dexterity and ANSI 5 made for handling glass, sheet metal, blades. Should help a lot when pruning thorny garden bushes/trees and working with rocks and boulders in my yard.

I hope these are going to be much better than all my old suede-leather gardening-gloves, which always wore with holes at the finger/knuckle joints and also have super crppy dexterity.

Top Bottom