Recommendations for indoor watering??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been keeping tropicals indoors over the winter in a mylar tent for the past few years, and I still have not found the perfect tool for watering. A watering can with a straight spout required a lot of care so as not to slosh soil out of the pot. A can with a shower rose was not precise enough, and was awkward for watering trees in the back row. What I have settled on for now is a 2-gallon pump sprayer with an adjustable nozzle set somewhere between stream and mist. It works okay - the wand is much more precise and maneuverable than a watering can spout, and it is a nice gentle spray. But I find it pretty time-consuming to get the pots all evenly saturated, with the slow flow rate and having the pause every minute or so to pump-pump-pump it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that might work better/faster? The garage is attached, but too far from any existing plumbing to run a line for a faucet. The garage is in the front, and the kitchen and all the bathrooms are in the back!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For my tropicals, I use a 2 gallon bucket to carry water and a 2 cup plastic measuring cup or even a small water pitcher. I've also used a pump sprayer but found it oversprayed a bit. I keep my tropicals in the basement over the winter as the garage would get too cold for them.

When I kept non tropical trees in the garage before I had the coldframe, I kept 2 5 gallon buckets in there filled with water and a measuring cup to scoop and water the trees. I filled the buckets from an outside spigot and carried them into the garage.
The spigots are the frost/freeze free kind and our winters are relatively mild most of the time so getting water that way isnt much of an issue. Not sure if you can do the same in your area. The buckets were enough for a week of watering when I had a lot of trees in the garage over the winter.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
...and if you left the lids off, you got free rodent control!

Actually, some water storage in the garage is not a bad idea.

Luckily I've never had mice get into the garage. The door closes well enough that they don't get in

The floor of the garage is slightly higher than the driveway such that there is a one inch lip that the inside of the door sits against and the bottom of the door has a rubber skirt that stops the mice from getting in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sort of? Too expensive for the need, but it would work. It has a low pressure nozzle.

Okay, actually it's a little intriguing. I might be able to find something used for a lot less. Have you tried it yourself? My worry is the flow would still be enough to blast soil out of pots, even if it is "low pressure." These terms may be relative?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I walk mine from the window to the kitchen sink. Eeeeevery single morning…. Ha.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, actually it's a little intriguing. I might be able to find something used for a lot less. Have you tried it yourself? My worry is the flow would still be enough to blast soil out of pots, even if it is "low pressure." These terms may be relative?

Using that pressure washer without the nozzles gives a stream similar to a regular hose.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I was looking for your reply as I know you have a way to water trees inside the house. Glad to see
They are elevated from the bottom of the trays so they never sit in water, much easier to water since my collection seems to have greatly expanded....

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are elevated from the bottom of the trays so they never sit in water, much easier to water since my collection seems to have greatly expanded....

I do the same thing with my tropical trees during the winter.
I have them in trays to catch excess water and I put 3-4 small tiles under the edges of the pots to make sure they aren't sitting in water.

Top Bottom