Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I used these last year with 1 liter bottles, worked okay (for a tight fit, I did need to cut the little ring off that stays when you unscrew the cap):

This is what I use for my trees inside a small humidity dome, but for the liquid fertilizer. Could definitely work for watering as well. Just make sure you don't squeeze the bottle too hard, they are meant for a gentle spray, not a power wash. Most of the negative reviews are from idiots that have no idea how to use them.

I'm working on an automated system with a timer and a small submergible water pump that I was planning on using for a home made cloner.

I use this for foliar spray and to water cuttings. Could work for small trees as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My husband went beserk when I watered my trees in the sink. They now spend the winter in Bootstrap Farmer trays, much easier for us both.
Carol, how do you drain the water from the bottom trays underneath the mesh? I'm looking to replicate a similar setup on wire shelving, but not sure how to practically remove the collected water. Slight incline + a drainage hole in the corner? Just take each tray apart and dump the bottom trays in the sink after watering? Seems it would be a pain navigating that under the light fixtures. Hoping you can shed some light!

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Carol, how do you drain the water from the bottom trays underneath the mesh? I'm looking to replicate a similar setup on wire shelving, but not sure how to practically remove the collected water. Slight incline + a drainage hole in the corner? Just take each tray apart and dump the bottom trays in the sink after watering? Seems it would be a pain navigating that under the light fixtures. Hoping you can shed some light!
I've been siphoning into a bucket, but have a solution in the works - start tuned!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The trays sit directly on the shelves. The trees are elevated by upside down humidity trays even though the trays do have elevations on the bottom. I usually don't have too much water in the bottom of the trays but yes, once in awhile I have to take the trees off and dump out the water.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m currently doing immersion watering. Can’t say much about how good or bad it is yet because this is my first year doing it this way for my tropicals. I was inspired to try it by an article written by Jack Wikle about keeping bonsai indoors.

I’ve got a shallow plastic storage container with a lid that I partially fill with water. I’m using a mix of tap and RO water and I add some Miracle Grow to the water at a relatively low dose. I put each pot in the container and let it soak for a few minutes (you can see air bubbles escaping for quite a while), then pick the pot up and let it drain back into the container, then put it back on the rack under lights. I have the shohin & mame sitting together in a mesh bottom tray so they can be picked up and watered en mass. When I’m done watering, I put the lid back on the container so that mosquitoes can’t get in there to lay eggs (hopefully). If I do notice mosquitoes getting in, I’ll drain it completely and sanitize it before starting over with fresh water.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I’m currently doing immersion watering. Can’t say much about how good or bad it is yet because this is my first year doing it this way for my tropicals. I was inspired to try it by an article written by Jack Wikle about keeping bonsai indoors.

I’ve got a shallow plastic storage container with a lid that I partially fill with water. I’m using a mix of tap and RO water and I add some Miracle Grow to the water at a relatively low dose. I put each pot in the container and let it soak for a few minutes (you can see air bubbles escaping for quite a while), then pick the pot up and let it drain back into the container, then put it back on the rack under lights. I have the shohin & mame sitting together in a mesh bottom tray so they can be picked up and watered en mass. When I’m done watering, I put the lid back on the container so that mosquitoes can’t get in there to lay eggs (hopefully). If I do notice mosquitoes getting in, I’ll drain it completely and sanitize it before starting over with fresh water.
That would take me a long time.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That would take me a long time.
It takes me longer than it did when I previously used a watering can. However, I’m now going about 5 days between waterings because each watering is so thorough.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I also water indoors in Bootstrap trays. My trays sit on wire rack shelving, under T-5 lights, with fans secured to the ends of each shelf. My pots sit directly on the trays. Between escape roots and fans, there is no water left in the trays by the end of the day.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also water indoors in Bootstrap trays. My trays sit on wire rack shelving, under T-5 lights, with fans secured to the ends of each shelf. My pots sit directly on the trays. Between escape roots and fans, there is no water left in the trays by the end of the day.
Same here, except for configuration of lights and fans.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my tent I use corrugated plastic roofing sheets on a slope that drains to a collection trough that drains to a bucket. I can water recklessly with a large can and it doesn’t make a mess. 😀

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ebb and flow if you can use some pouches or something inside you pots to not have media leak into the resevoir…….like a rootpouch inside or something…..
Ebb and flow is very economical as reusing nutrient……don’t want media in your resevoir though.
I just set the flats or pots in the tray as it fills.
ABD1AFA0-9B27-4DD9-A39C-4EBB3D4F3F5E.jpeg9C2E6E4C-7252-46EB-B031-F668B920FF4E.jpeg5795A281-11BC-48E6-B4DB-A7A89D09E0BF.jpeg
79369B71-2DBE-41CC-AD3A-28AA69070A6C.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I found an extra fan in my son's old room today and put it up for the trees. I got a raised eyebrow from the husband, like "now they need a fan, what's next?"

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I found an extra fan in my son's old room today and put it up for the trees. I got a raised eyebrow from the husband, like "now they need a fan, what's next?"
Living for this adorably grumpy picture you’re painting of your husband. I feel like we all have our own version of “unwilling bonsai spouse.”

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've been siphoning into a bucket, but have a solution in the works - start tuned!

Finally got around to getting this started. Basically, just using an aquarium bulkhead fitting.

Draining into a bucket right now, but will add a utility pump to pump the overflow to a drain trap.

PXL_20221102_172512618.jpg

PXL_20221102_172812647.~2_exported_1174_1667413309826.jpg

PXL_20221102_175922165.jpg

PXL_20221102_181046216.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Luckily I've never had mice get into the garage. The door closes well enough that they don't get in

The floor of the garage is slightly higher than the driveway such that there is a one inch lip that the inside of the door sits against and the bottom of the door has a rubber skirt that stops the mice from getting in.
Hmmm…mice around chew the corners out of the rubber seal….and then wiggle in right on top of a sticky trap. Gotcha.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like it and I have aquarium bulkhead fitting, but I would need a but load of buckets to do this.
That's where the utility pump will come in, but they aren't cheap, and you would need a bunch of them for your setup.

Top Bottom