Recommendations for indoor watering??

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally got around to getting this started. Basically, just using an aquarium bulkhead fitting.

Draining into a bucket right now, but will add a utility pump to pump the overflow to a drain trap.

View attachment 461537

View attachment 461539

View attachment 461540

View attachment 461541
The setup with the buckets is what I'm trying this year. Definitely beats having to move each plant to water it. I probably should have gotten those bulkhead filter/strainers though; lots of random leaves and media threatening to clog the tubes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would need a but load of buckets to do this.

I wonder, are people with a lot of waste water in their trays using hoses and/or watering cans? With my 2gal pump sprayer, any waste water gets evaporated from the trays before the next watering. I am already getting tired of hauling water, so I might have a spigot put in the garage, but then I might still use the pump sprayer to avoid the drainage problem.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder, are people with a lot of waste water in their trays using hoses and/or watering cans? With my 2gal pump sprayer, any waste water gets evaporated from the trays before the next watering. I am already getting tired of hauling water, so I might have a spigot put in the garage, but then I might still use the pump sprayer to avoid the drainage problem.
I have a very heavy hand with the watering can.

My home office is in the basement (where I've been 50+ hours a week for the past two and a half years...). It is also where my tropicals live.

I installed a spigot and use a regular hose and watering wand now...

PXL_20221005_135307953.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I solved my problem another way! Eliminated the trays and replaced with rigid bootstrap farmer mesh trays as mentioned by @Carol 83 above. Now, instead of having to move each plant individually, I can relocate a whole tray to a slop sink and water deeply with a watering can. The mesh screens out any media that would end up in the sink, and I just let them drain for a few seconds before returning the mesh flat to the shelves. Cut a tedious 30 minute job down to 10 minutes.

Still like the sprayer idea, but again it’s the drainage thing. I like the bulkhead + hose and bucket solution too.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My home office is in the basement (where I've been 50+ hours a week for the past two and a half years...). It is also where my tropicals live.

I installed a spigot and use a regular hose and watering wand now...

View attachment 461592
I'm also right by the utility sink/water lines in the basement and thought about getting a spigot, but I try to use lukewarm water which I don't think is possible from a spigot connected to one line?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm also right by the utility sink/water lines in the basement and thought about getting a spigot, but I try to use lukewarm water which I don't think is possible from a spigot connected to one line?
Not without an inline heater, but you can get a mixing spigot - I have one outside for when the kids want the kiddie pool filled, or don't want a freezing sprinkler to run through.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm…mice around chew the corners out of the rubber seal….and then wiggle in right on top of a sticky trap. Gotcha.
Possible I suppose but I've never had it happen

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

My tropical trees in the basement get some water in the trays since I do purposely water until I see it coming out of the bottom. On most trees it evaporates with the warmth from their lights by the next day most of the time. Sometimes there is a little in there but no big deal.

I've used a pump sprayer and measuring cups from a bucket or pitcher. Either way, I water until it comes out the bottom. The only issue I ever had with the pump sprayer is overspray getting the wall wet. I stopped using a sprayer because of that.

When I kept trees in my garage, the water would just run out the bottom to the floor ( or another plant on the shelf below it)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need 50 feet of hose to water all the plants in my basement. I just put this together and I love it. The pattern is from a stream to a very gentle mist.

Right now I am using the faucet on my utility sink so I can mix the water for cold/hot. Soon I will have all the parts for watering from a pump in my 40 gallon holding tank at room temperature. This water is constantly agitated and I add about a cup of peroxide every couple of weeks to keep things nice and fresh.

My experience with Bootstrap farmer tray is the same. I am using the 46 inch long trays primarily and water never sits in them for over 24 hours. However, I do like the idea of bulkhead fittings for the purpose of flooding the trays or for heavy handed watering. And even for cleaning these large trays in place. I have a few from my aquarium days but I really like these:
These are probably in my near future. I may end up with one at each end of these longer trays.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elevated plastic tray in the tent . Drilled for a pipe drain gravel in tray . Trees on gravel conservatory water can . Haws of England make a nice one . Water till your hearts content gravel increases ambient humidity . Excess drains away . Above system refillable water reservoir . Raised above the tent any number of rose . Water nozzle . Modified sink sprayer . On end if a rubber hose gravity feed . Micro irrigation systems multiple gravity feed systems avail easy to adapt . 1/8 “ feeder hose to short sections of soaker hoses fir each tree . Battery operated timer great for vacations . Or system I ysed in past . If you use a tent how many trees can you have . Plastic restaurant dish tray . Take all the trees to the bathtub in groups and water the hell out of them with a conventional bonsai water can A friend actually has his tropicals under lights . In the family main bathroom laundry room they love the boosted heat and humidity from showers and laundry

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Going to visit my sister in Chicago next week. Don't have a reliable waterer, so, last minute indoor auto watering system in place.

Had to make my own "drip tube" by poking holes considering the stuff I ordered only had holes every 6".

Doesn't saturate the whole pot super well, but it will get me through 6 days.

PXL_20221222_225919142.jpg

Top Bottom