Recommended species order for repotting?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is my second year diving into Bonsai, and I collected a ton of trees last year... most nursery stock. That means lots to repot... but I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of which species to do first? I want to kinda get organized and have a plan. Obviously tropicals wait til summer. I find little info other than late winter/early spring for everything else. I did read to maybe repot azaleas early so the roots are reestablished in time to flower. Is that accurate? Or should I do deciduous first? Big stuff before small stuff? Any tips would be great thanks!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What I do here and what should work for you is this- Deciduous late Jan./ Feb. Junipers/ Pines Feb. early March. Broad leaf evergreens March Tropicals May/June/July

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my second year diving into Bonsai, and I collected a ton of trees last year... most nursery stock. That means lots to repot... but I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of which species to do first? I want to kinda get organized and have a plan. Obviously tropicals wait til summer. I find little info other than late winter/early spring for everything else. I did read to maybe repot azaleas early so the roots are reestablished in time to flower. Is that accurate? Or should I do deciduous first? Big stuff before small stuff? Any tips would be great thanks!

Greatly depends on what's "moving" and what is not. For deciduous trees, look for the most obvious buds--the trees with more green, larger buds on them are the priorities regardless of species. You really can't make a list on what is first and last with deciduous trees, as it greatly depends on when they "wake up" from winter dormancy. There is no strict timetable for that. Trees that were first in line to be repotted a few years ago may be last in line this year as they may not be as active as others--or vice versa. All depends on your estimate of their bud activity. Wait too long and the buds open, you lose the best chance to work the roots. Root prune too early and you won't get the maximum benefit from those roots in budding...

Tropicals are always summer-the hotter the better.

Azaleas can actually wait until after flowering if you're interested in seeing the flowers. Early spring if not.

Top Bottom