Recommended Videos and Literature

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Having just watched and taken notes on Ryan Neils lecture on pines, I found that most of my questions have been answered and I feel as though I'm ready to tackle my JRP this coming spring.

I was thinking that maybe we could compile a list of information videos on youtube etc, that you'd recommend to help not just newbies but even more experienced people learn something. Actually thinking more like 2 lists, 1 easy to access / free content and another for videos on sites like Mirai live or even DVD's and books that you have to pay for.

Youtube:

Ryan Neil Lecture on Pines:
Pt 1 - 2 Flush Pines:
Pt 2 - Single Flush pines:

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Brian Van Fleet ‘s book on JBP. Probably the most helpful resource to me for understanding the way JBPs are grown and trained.

https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/new-book-developing-jbp-bonsai/

And he’s a great resource on this site. If you’ve ever learned anything from him, buying his book would be a great way to say thank you, IMHO.
I would only add it already works on Android devices using some downloaded reader for .epub files.

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I´m bumping this one.

Could anyone recommend me a good book for a beginner in bonsai?

Also, been thinking about buying lessons over at Bonsai Empire and Mirai. Tested the Mirai for seven days but I just found it to chaotic in the library, does anyone know if B Empire is better?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Bjorn’s beginner, intermediate, and advanced video courses are good too. They’re on Bonsai Empire.

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I´ve now checked the Beginners course at Bonsai Empire.

+ The videos are well composed.
+ User friendly platform.
+ Quality.

- The beginners course felt like a "You have no clue what a tree is? We have the answer"
- The content felt thin (But yes, it´s a beginners course)

I´ll update more when I´m finished with intermediate course. Also waiting for The little book of bonsai.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I´ve now checked the Beginners course at Bonsai Empire.

+ The videos are well composed.
+ User friendly platform.
+ Quality.

- The beginners course felt like a "You have no clue what a tree is? We have the answer"
- The content felt thin (But yes, it´s a beginners course)

I´ll update more when I´m finished with intermediate course. Also waiting for The little book of bonsai.

Hi, Thank you for the Beginners course review, Could you please comment on the intermediate course?

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi @Driftwood

I haven´t started the course yet. I got a new job, new house and I´ve also undergone a surgery (everything´s fine) so I´m afraid I´ve been to busy.

Though I plan on starting it this weekend.

I can give a review on The Little Book of Bonsai though.

First impression of this book was ->beautiful, well composed and with a lot of quality. If you want to look at beautiful photos while learning on a beginner to intermediate level, this book is a great buy. I can also recommend to visit his blog where he also has "Resources for beginners", for free, wich is a great tool for us beginners.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Science-based botanical podcast here. I’ve been listening to this off and on since before I started keeping trees. This may not be for everyone. It meanders off topic here and there, but I found it a good listen, and applicable to bonsai.
In Defence of Plants
Episode 265 Ancient Trees: Living on the Edge. Dr. Doug Larson

Hope someone finds some good here.
Thanks

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi @Driftwood

I haven´t started the course yet. I got a new job, new house and I´ve also undergone a surgery (everything´s fine) so I´m afraid I´ve been to busy.

Though I plan on starting it this weekend.

I can give a review on The Little Book of Bonsai though.

First impression of this book was ->beautiful, well composed and with a lot of quality. If you want to look at beautiful photos while learning on a beginner to intermediate level, this book is a great buy. I can also recommend to visit his blog where he also has "Resources for beginners", for free, wich is a great tool for us beginners.

All right! please let us know when ever you can. Yes I got latest Jonas, Michael book, also a regular at bonsai tonight and will like to take a video consultation with Jonas. Luckily there are good sources to look at and that's why user reviews are increasingly important. Thank you for the tips.

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just wanted to share this youtube channel I found! Quite simply, tons of vids a Japanese bonsai master working on awesome trees. Not much instruction but enjoyable nonetheless.

Top Bottom