Reconnecting Jin

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg Here are a couple of Manzanitas I collected this spring from a old unused road. They had been run over and broken by vehicles. A couple of nice jins were mostly broken off and hanging on by a few threads. They would have been lost during handling at some point so I went ahead and tried this technique. The Jin curved back and in the way of using a drill or screwdriver. I used marine epoxy because it dries white and (I hope) blends in a little better than regular epoxy. The nylon zip ties hold it tight without stretching while it's curing. If others have different, better ways of doing this, I'd love to hear about it.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I probably would have used super glue gel to do that. Keep us posted on how the marine epoxy works for you.
I have been having real good experiences with a DAP product called Rapidfuse. It was recommended by a woodworking professional who told me it dries quickly and once cured is sandable and can be stained like real wood. I have broken a few tanuki projects and repaired with the stuff and actually mixed fine sawdust of the manzanita wood I was carving and the crack seam disappeared!
It was well worth the few bucks just to experiment with.
Leonard

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. BTW the marine epoxy failed late last fall. Back to the drawing board.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 114650 View attachment 114651 Here are a couple of Manzanitas I collected this spring from a old unused road. They had been run over and broken by vehicles. A couple of nice jins were mostly broken off and hanging on by a few threads. They would have been lost during handling at some point so I went ahead and tried this technique. The Jin curved back and in the way of using a drill or screwdriver. I used marine epoxy because it dries white and (I hope) blends in a little better than regular epoxy. The nylon zip ties hold it tight without stretching while it's curing. If others have different, better ways of doing this, I'd love to hear about it.

I've got a couple jinns that I'd like to reattach. I plan on doing the same thing but including an internal pin. Probably a small length of copper wire. It's hard to align the holes perfectly on both sides so I'll try drilling oversize and using epoxy in the hole with the pin to be sure I can align it properly.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice idea. I was going to drill a pilot hole originally and insert a small screw. There wasn't room enough to get the drill in at the proper angle without barerooting a significant part of the rootball. Something I wasn't comfortable doing with a recently collected Manzanita.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I've got a couple jinns that I'd like to reattach. I plan on doing the same thing but including an internal pin. Probably a small length of copper wire. It's hard to align the holes perfectly on both sides so I'll try drilling oversize and using epoxy in the hole with the pin to be sure I can align it properly.
I did try that method as well. Secure the pin in the top half and let it cure before filling the whole in the bottom. I tried to do it together once and all the glue in the top oozed down and all over my deadwood piece and caused an awful mess. Most of my repairs had ragged edges so once repaired were easy to sand over to hide repair.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom