Recover from freeze

cetanorak

Seedling
Reaction score
Moved from Oregon to Texas in January, my little three year old Chinese Elm sapling had been wintering in a leafless state and then the warm sunny days caused it to explode in thick leave coverage. It was beautiful and healthy. Then I forgot to bring the tree inside when it dipped below freezing one night and the next morning the leaves were all sagging and whithered. Now that 2-3 three weeks have passed the few reamining leaves are whithering and no buds have been produced. Is there something that I should be doing to ensure that this little tree has a chance to recover....is it possibly dead?

Thank you for any advice!

IMG_0717.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't let the time worrying about it keep you from finding a better one.

Trunk looks shriveled.

Sorce

cetanorak

Seedling
Reaction score
Well, it's not that I am interested in saving this tree because I am particularly proud of it's growth or styling, it's only that this tree began it's life as a bonsai a few months before my son was born and we have enjoyed watching this tiny tree go in and out of season, in step with our son's growth. We were looking forward to having that storyline until we leave the tree for him care for.

The tree didn't look this disheveled prior to the freeze. I trimmed back many of the longer branches and dead branches.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it's not that I am proud of this tree's growth or styling, it's thatthis tree began it's life as a bonsai and few months before my son was born and we have enjoyed watching this tiny tree go in and out of season in step with our son's growth and were looking forward to having that storyline many years down the line when he, hopefully, assumed caring for this tree.

The tree didn't look this disheveled prior to the freeze. I trimmed back many of the longer branches and dead branches.
Well, you're probably going to have to start with another tree:(. This one looks pretty much gone...I wouldn't throw it away just yet, but keep the soil (which might also be an issue) moist. Don't keep it soggy. Let the tree alone other than that after you find a location in the shade. Wait six week for new shoots to emerge. If that doesn't happen, it's not recoverable.

As for the part about passing this on to your son, well, good luck with that. My son who grew up with most of my trees, didn't (and doesn't) want anything to do with them. He was good for a tree sitter while my wife and I went on vacation, but other than making a few bucks for the chore, there was no interest. Hope you have better luck.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As for the part about passing this on to your son, well, good luck with that. My son who grew up with most of my trees, didn't (and doesn't) want anything to do with them.
Same here. I think that like baldness, it must skip a generation. ;)

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I trimmed back many of the longer branches and dead branches.
Why did you want to do this? There's energy in branches that it could have used to revive.

The under filled, shallow soil layer also wasn't helpful. No insulation from cold.

I would still be surprised if this was dead, though. Chinese elms can take a lot of damage. Just keep it in partial shade, don't let it dry out, and it should come back.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks dead, but follow @rockm's advice and you might get lucky.

My older/bigger/thicker elm is pulling through a similar situation. I repotted and did a drastic root reduction into a smaller pot as it began to bud, then we got hit with a couple freezing nights. I put it on the ground when I should have moved it to the garage. It stalled for three weeks and is just now starting to push bits of green.

Top Bottom