RED CHOJUBAI [Chaenomeles japonica]

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Red flowering quince or better known as 'chojubai' are often referred to as the jewels of the bonsai world. This species just about has everything going for them. They are deciduous, have textured bark, tiny leaves, form fine and dense ramification with tight internodes, and in winter it's dotted with gorgeous diminutive flowers that seem to glow with jewel-like intensity. It is no wonder they are highly prized in Japan and elsewhere.

Last spring I transferred this tree into an antique Chinese pot. In the process of allowing some further elongation of its branches to define the movement from left to right. It was recently pruned and wire lightly.

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

IMG_7010.jpg

IMG_7009.jpg

IMG_7012.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder what the life expectancy for this kind of plant is?

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
Wow! Nice work and thanks for sharing. I just picked up a red flowering quince the other day, texas scarlet I think. I saw the Japanese ones at the nursery as well, but they seemed a little too leggy. The little fruits are what attracted me to them. Do you let yours grow any fruit?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! Nice work and thanks for sharing. I just picked up a red flowering quince the other day, texas scarlet I think. I saw the Japanese ones at the nursery as well, but they seemed a little too leggy. The little fruits are what attracted me to them. Do you let yours grow any fruit?

Thanks HT. I do not let mine fruit as it takes too much energy away from the plant. In fact, I try and cut off the spent flowers before the fruit starts to form.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very,very nice bonsai!
I have gotton so exhausted of looking for these to buy that I decided to grow Chaenomeles from seed.......in quantity and see what diversity arises in the seed flat.
Interesting really.........you would think some chojubai type,more dwarf forms would pop up.
Don’t know till’ you try.My seeds will be ready to sew in 90 days.....I want to make deciduous seedling cuttings.I am trying it in a couple weeks with other species.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very,very nice bonsai!
I have gotton so exhausted of looking for these to buy that I decided to grow Chaenomeles from seed.......in quantity and see what diversity arises in the seed flat.
Interesting really.........you would think some chojubai type,more dwarf forms would pop up.
Don’t know till’ you try.My seeds will be ready to sew in 90 days.....I want to make deciduous seedling cuttings.I am trying it in a couple weeks with other species.

Thanks Curtis! Propagating chojubai is quite easy as I'm sure you know. Much like Japanese maples, they are worth the effort in propagating this species. They are always in demand. Good luck and maybe you'll discover a hot new variety of Japanese quince!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Red flowering quince or better known as 'chojubai' are often referred to as the jewels of the bonsai world. This species just about has everything going for them. They are deciduous, have textured bark, tiny leaves, form fine and dense ramification with tight internodes, and in winter it's dotted with gorgeous diminutive flowers that seem to glow with jewel-like intensity. It is no wonder they are highly prized in Japan and elsewhere.

Last spring I transferred this tree into an antique Chinese pot. In the process of allowing some further elongation of its branches to define the movement from left to right. It was recently pruned and wire lightly.

View attachment 338445

View attachment 338446

View attachment 338447

View attachment 338448

View attachment 338449

View attachment 338450

View attachment 338451

View attachment 338452
Super tree and pics. I've just started a baby version of your tree from a cutting and they are super little trees, very easy to wire and not fussy. Looking at a "grown up" version is very informative - mine seems to want to be a similar shape.IMG_20201022_125057.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Been waiting for this post for months! I kept catching glimpses of it in your other pictures! Absolutely gorgeous and worth the wait!

Thanks Derek! Doing some further development specially lengthening the right side so that there is a more definitive directionality towards that side as well as creating a more asymmetrical silhouette.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Super tree and pics. I've just started a baby version of your tree from a cutting and they are super little trees, very easy to wire and not fussy. Looking at a "grown up" version is very informative - mine seems to want to be a similar shape.View attachment 338532

Very nice Paul. They'll definitely tend to clump up as they develop. In the process, make sure to cut off any strong basal shoots that you don't need. It does become more difficult to wire as they develop their dense ramification. Hard to get your fingers in and around branches without causing damage and why is preferable to adopt the "clip and grow" method eventually.

Top Bottom