Red Japanese maple

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Pick seeds in autumn, keep in fridge for ~90 days, they should start germinating in the fridge around that time after which you can plant them.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This is seeds that have come into the country ( New Zealand ) don't know how they have been handled . They have got a small wing with the seed , I assume I just have to plant them ( in seed raising mix ) and just wait

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Simply plant, leave outside, keep damp, wait for Spring. Nothing fancy or special needed. Maples grow like weeds naturally anywhere near maple tree unless soil too dry😊.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
JM seed can go into deep dormancy when stored dry and can be increasingly difficult to germinate. You have no control over purchased seed so you just have to hope now.
Generally it is recommended to stratify (cold treatment) for JM seed before sowing but fresh seed will germinate with no pre-treatment.
You have already sown seed so just leave it be now and cross fingers. 2-6 weeks should show whether the seed will grow or not.
If no germination try again next year with fresh seed.

BTW there is no such thing as 'red Japanese maple' There are hundreds of different cultivars that have red leaves in spring and many of those retain red leaves through summer. Not all seed from red leaf cultivars will end up as red leaf trees - investigate 'genetics' for more on dominant and recessive genes and sexual propagation.

If you do not get god germination this time feel free to make contact. I have plenty of JM cultivars in the garden and can supply seed from red leaf trees. Whether they grow into good red leaf JM is entirely in the lap of the gods of genetics.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks , I'll wait and see what happens . Might have to take you up on some more seeds ( need whatever you have as I'm only starting etc... )

Top Bottom