Red Japanese maple

Brady D

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a friend with a Japanese maple in his yard I took a clipping off of it and I’m trying to make a bonsai from it any advice on how to do so would be appreciated. The cutting pictured below has a deep red color. the picture makes it look dead but it was freshly clipped about an hour before.ABEF0E23-A656-4E59-A4CB-2366CAB8F0AA.jpeg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dissectum varieties tend to make poor bonsai, and also happen to be difficult to root from cutting. My educated guess is that this won't survive long enough for you to do anything bonsai-related to it.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fine a clear plastic bottle slightly smaller diameter than that pot/cup/whatever, and cut the bottom off. Place it over the cutting as humidity dome. This will help keep your cutting from drying out too fast. Mist with a spray bottle of water routinely.
In selecting cuttings you want a node or two at the very least in the soil line, and don't keep the soil soggy. Too wet and the tree will think it doesn't need roots.

There's ALLOT to know about cuttings, and you can use the search function here or Google to start learning.

I'm trying my first maple cuttings now; tartaran maple. People say that maple cuttings root easily, but can take a long time. Be patient. Like months, or until you're absolutely sure the stem is dead.
For many species, getting 30% of them to root at all can be a big success. If this round doesn't work out, try, try again.

Brady D

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fine a clear plastic bottle slightly smaller diameter than that pot/cup/whatever, and cut the bottom off. Place it over the cutting as humidity dome. This will help keep your cutting from drying out too fast. Mist with a spray bottle of water routinely.
In selecting cuttings you want a node or two at the very least in the soil line, and don't keep the soil soggy. Too wet and the tree will think it doesn't need roots.

There's ALLOT to know about cuttings, and you can use the search function here or Google to start learning.

I'm trying my first maple cuttings now; tartaran maple. People say that maple cuttings root easily, but can take a long time. Be patient. Like months, or until you're absolutely sure the stem is dead.
For many species, getting 30% of them to root at all can be a big success. If this round doesn't work out, try, try again.
Thank you for the help

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Good luck with this Jm cutting. It is possible but, as already mentioned, quite difficult to strike these.
If/when your cutting is well rooted and growing strong post again for some info on what to do next.

Top Bottom