Red Japanese maples white bark

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day for pix...

The contrast is so extreme. It's just beautiful. Does it have good fall color as well or is the big show in the spring?

I notice what seems like an alternate cultivar coming out of the base. Is that an attempt to grow out some sacrifice branches to thicken the trunk?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The contrast is so extreme. It's just beautiful. Does it have good fall color as well or is the big show in the spring?

I notice what seems like an alternate cultivar coming out of the base. Is that an attempt to grow out some sacrifice branches to thicken the trunk?

I'm betting root thread grafts.....

Looking good, Brian. Let me know if you have more cuttings or layers you want to get rid of.:)

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is this a variety one can buy in seeds? Or it must be a cutting?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

It has pretty good fall color, usually red/orange, but that's only if I can keep the leaves from frying in the late summer sun.

4 seedlings are grafted through the trunk to improve the nebari. Tomorrow's blog post goes into this in more detail...

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm betting root thread grafts.....

Looking good, Brian. Let me know if you have more cuttings or layers you want to get rid of.:)

I have two in the ground: one is an air layer from it that I'm getting pretty excited about (photos attached are from last year). The nebari is 10x better than the parent, and I thread-grafted all new branches through it a few years ago, so they're mostly in all the right places. It's smaller, but nicer.

I also have a cutting growing with good movement, but it's only pencil-thick at the moment, and needs root work next spring, then a few years in the ground.

Georgiabonsai got the third one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 96

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
how long does an application last for?
Do you only do this to mature trees?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
how long does an application last for?
Do you only do this to mature trees?
One application seems to last most of the year. Areas in the lower trunk that get hit by the hose show some fading, but since I'm not showing it in the near future, I haven't bothered to reapply.

Its not necessary to apply at all, so I'd only use LS to lighten trunks if your want them whiter.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
LS is good for blending in pruning cuts too - kinda like make up for bark :D

Top Bottom