Red Japanese Quince

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Left for dead nursery reject; over a year of TLC and an August repot; finally rewarded.

Attachments

• Red Flowers.jpg
    Red Flowers.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was thinking that this thread is about as helpful as a 3rd elbow, so here's a pic of the tree, sorry if you felt this was a waste of time...but who doesn't like pretty flowers?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice

I got a little 7" stick that I been watching grow fro the past five years and still smaller then a pencil, this year got a couple more branches and a little first sucker but it keeps flowering every year , the flowers are white. I like it, what matter to me is to keep it in a Bon and be alive sai.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was thinking that this thread is about as helpful as a 3rd elbow, so here's a pic of the tree, sorry if you felt this was a waste of time...but who doesn't like pretty flowers?

I some how missed the original thread...possibly because of the timing and what I had going on at the time. Love the uniqueness of the base of this tree. The blooms are beautiful...but, the base...will be there when in bloom as well as when it isn't. I think it has tons of character! Thanks for sharing.

I might have to pick a quince up...if I found one that was as interesting as yours!

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I some how missed the original thread...possibly because of the timing and what I had going on at the time. Love the uniqueness of the base of this tree. The blooms are beautiful...but, the base...will be there when in bloom as well as when it isn't. I think it has tons of character! Thanks for sharing.

I might have to pick a quince up...if I found one that was as interesting as yours!

You have got to be BN's most charming member, always so positive.
You didn't miss a thing; I was laughing at myself because I had created a thread just to post a pic of a flower...
Here's another one I bought at the same time, just repotted and wrapped the roots over a rock. This one has twin trunks that fused just above the base, looks interesting so I hope it turns out ok

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 269

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have got to be BN's most charming member, always so positive.
You didn't miss a thing; I was laughing at myself because I had created a thread just to post a pic of a flower...
Here's another one I bought at the same time, just repotted and wrapped the roots over a rock. This one has twin trunks that fused just above the base, looks interesting so I hope it turns out ok

Its who I am...plain vanilla,nothing overly special... Though I try to find positive in most things. Even on my worst of days...I understand that there are ones struggling to deal with monumental things that would give anything to have my bad day. So it puts things into perspective. So I really try and stay positive... :) Thanks for the sweet words.

I must admit...you have me researching quince once more...trying to decide on the variety I wish to go. Beautiful blooms...

Now your project...you must PROMISE to share once those roots are revealed. They have to stay like that...for what almost a year I think I read. But, I am a root fanatic so I am extremely interested to see your results from this project you have taken on. Kudos for having the nerve to attempt such things.

I may try a root over rock or side of rock root thing with a lilac I have. It would need to be a large rock with the material I have. So...we shall see. It may end up in the yard if I don't like the looks of the overall scheme of it. Time will tell. Thing is...with being in Ohio...I am curious if I start it mid June it would be okay. Thinking it would. I leave June 5 for two weeks to Honduras with no connection to the US or outside world and I don't wish to have a care giver tending things that might over whelm her. But, your post inspires me...indeed they do. Keep us updated...

Will this root over rock have a similar bloom?

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Will this root over rock have a similar bloom?
I believe so; It has yet to flower - I was told that it is the same var. w/ crimson blooms.

Common! life is short so get some dirt under those nails. Grab a schefflera or another tropical that you can keep indoors - The roots grow quickly, which will give you faster feed back on which techniques worked. The younger roots of tropical plants are relatively flexible, making them easier to bend/wrap around rocks.

It probably helps to have an extra set of hands, so tell your husband to clock in.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe so; It has yet to flower - I was told that it is the same var. w/ crimson blooms.

Common! life is short so get some dirt under those nails. Grab a schefflera or another tropical that you can keep indoors - The roots grow quickly, which will give you faster feed back on which techniques worked. The younger roots of tropical plants are relatively flexible, making them easier to bend/wrap around rocks.

It probably helps to have an extra set of hands, so tell your husband to clock in.

Well...it will have amazing blooms then as well. I don't think I've seen a quince bloom I've not liked. Thus trying to decide on what variety. I think it will be more based on what the main bones of it looks like verses bloom on my count.

Well...my indoor space is limited...you see I have five bougainvilleas...and a lantana on it's way in the mail. As well as an annual plant that I've kept since my senior son was in first grade...brought it home in a styrofoam cup. Then, the tropical hibiscus potted tree. So...limited space for tropical ones at the moment. But, plenty of room out in the cold greenhouse to winter...so on the look out for one next spring. ;) But appreciate the tip. As well as an extra set of hands...I have a youth who is wanting mentored in bonsai...I have a feeling it will be the blind leading the blind. But we'll have fun while doing it. She will so be able to be a second set of hands.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The root over rock twin trunk does have the same crimson blooms. It is pushing new spring growth all over; the sucker growth is a bit problematic to remove as they originate from deep within the moss ball.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
partial cut back of spring/summer growth.

Attachments

• IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 183

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is looking very nice, good job with it. Pretty flowers.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice. May I ask...what comes first flowers or leaves in spring?

Last edited:

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice. May I ask...what comes first flowers or leaves in spring?
Hi Peter,
The flower buds remained small until late January; then the leaf buds slowly popped in all areas of the tree. While the first spring leafs were small, the flower buds swelled then opened last week; then the vegetative/leaf buds pushed growth rather quickly.

My other quince shown in this tread pushed a flower before the spring leafs. Theses trees are positioned in different areas; but you can usually expect a show of flowers before the leafs really catch your eye. My area has a mild winter, so even my azalea push flower and leaf at the same time. Last week we had temps in the 80s...will reach 70s this week; the higher temps trigger vegetative growth.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you. So it's different from tree to tree. I can't remember how it was last year. I'll look at those mine with hope, just some movement of the buds started...

Top Bottom