Red Maple Bonsai?

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I live in Central Florida, zone 9b and I would like to try my hand at bonsai trees, specifically a red maple (acer rubrum).

Would it be best to buy a sapling or seeds and start from the beginning with growing them? I live in an apartment, so planting it is out of the realm of possibility.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get a Chinese elm or a ficus.

Acer rubrum is Heisman level difficulty (to borrow an ancient video game analogy) even under ideal circumstances, so not a good place to start off.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Get a Chinese elm or a ficus.

Acer rubrum is Heisman level difficulty (to borrow an ancient video game analogy) even under ideal circumstances, so not a good place to start off.

Can you explain to me how a native tree to my state would be Heisman level difficult?

The elm might be a possibility, but I don't care for tropicals.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can you explain to me how a native tree to my state would be Heisman level difficult?

The elm might be a possibility, but I don't care for tropicals.
Some species are better for bonsai than others. Acer rubrum is one of the worst.

On top of that, they don't live inside.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Some species are better for bonsai than others. Acer rubrum is one of the worst.

Wasn't going to keep it inside. I have a south-facing balcony that gets full sun for about 6-8 hours a day. My mistake for not mentioning that.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Still would like to get a maple, but if I was going to consider an elm, would seed be okay? All I remember seeing of Chinese elm is that they are s-shaped and not a straight trunk shape.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Still would like to get a maple, but if I was going to consider an elm, would seed be okay? All I remember seeing of Chinese elm is that they are s-shaped and not a straight trunk shape.
Email Wigerts Bonsai in Ft. Myers and ask them if they have any Chinese elms that aren't S shaped. I'm sure they can help you.

Seeds is generally a bad way to start out. I recommend starting with an actual tree.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don't mean to butt in but you can certainly try a Rubrum if that's what you like. Just that their growing characteristics does not lend well to bonsai esthetics. Such as large leaves... Maples are understory trees so they don't need direct sun all day.

For me, growing from seeds are actually fun and rewarding; but best if you have a couple trees you can already work with.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don't mean to butt in but you can certainly try a Rubrum if that's what you like. Just that their growing characteristics does not lend well to bonsai esthetics. Such as large leaves... Maples are understory trees so they don't need direct sun all day.

For me, growing from seeds are actually fun and rewarding; but best if you have a couple trees you can already work with.
I should clarify that I have nothing against growing seeds UNLESS it's the only thing you're doing.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

How about a trident maple (Acer buergeianum)? I just really like maples.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How about a trident maple (Acer buergeianum)? I just really like maples.
Trident maple is a common species used for bonsai. New World Bonsai on etsy is out of florida and they have good starter tridents. There's a lot of threads on Trident care on here. they have small foliage and grow really nice nebari.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Trident maple is a common species used for bonsai. New World Bonsai on etsy is out of florida and they have good starter tridents. There's a lot of threads on Trident care on here. they have small foliage and grow really nice nebari.

Just ordered a trident from New World. Do you have any particular threads in mind that I should look at?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just ordered a trident from New World. Do you have any particular threads in mind that I should look at?
nice! I just use the search function in the top right whenever I have a specific question. the maples sub-group is a good place where a lot of advice gets posted. A lot of things I've seen for starting out with tridents say to get them into the ground or a larger pot and plant them on top of a tile. The trees roots will fuse over time and give you a nice wide nebari.

Note: I am just a year into my own bonsai journey so I don't have much experience as to the specifics of ANYthing. and I really shouldn't be answering questions lol. but this thread is prob a good place to start^^

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tridents are great and a stellar choice but there have been several people who have done very nicely with Red maples. I have the beginning of a forest now that were the result of seeds falling into a nursery pot and sprouting a couple years ago.
I am sure there are are some to look at here in the archives.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A lot of things I've seen for starting out with tridents say to get them into the ground or a larger pot and plant them on top of a tile. The trees roots will fuse over time and give you a nice wide nebari.

And this method works well for one being in a pot?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Please collect native seed or trees! There's supposedly a subgenus of rubrums in your state that make better bonsai than the common and northern "ecotype". They are probably growing everywhere, the most common tree in the Eastern USA. Also here is a second article that should get you pretty amped up about the species.

A member on this forum named ABCarve, has a really nice rubrum. you should check it out. They have obvious drawbacks but there are good examples around. If nothing else it will be good practice and a lesson learned to try this species

Top Bottom