Red Maple Bonsai?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wish it were that easy. I can not collect from most areas here as they are someone's property, the city's property, or a state park.

You're in Central Jersey, so around the Pine Barrens?
The railroad right of way usually has a strip on either side that is untended because it is a no man's land between the right of way and the adjacent property, often industrial or commercial. They are everywhere. Next time you cross a set of tracks, look both ways! You'll see miles of free stuff often beat up by sloppy cutting and/or half poisoned periodically. Bring a digging fork and loppers you can plunge into rocky soil.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I actually purchased a trident that came in last week, it's young and needs to grow. The problem is that no one has really that type of maple (rubrum) around here, they either have the Trident like I got or what you see in the links above. Especially the closest place. The next closest which is a couple of hours away doesn't carry maples at all.

I am just in the wrong state for what I want really. They just aren't that popular here.
Actually, FastGrowingTrees.com can do. You'll note that the hardiness zone stops in what looks to me to be the Great Okefenokee Swamp, but don't let that stop you. You're not really a bonsaiist until you've got a few pelts under your belt.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The railroad right of way usually has a strip on either side that is untended because it is a no man's land between the right of way and the adjacent property, often industrial or commercial. They are everywhere. Next time you cross a set of tracks, look both ways! You'll see miles of free stuff often beat up by sloppy cutting and/or half poisoned periodically. Bring a digging fork and loppers you can plunge into rocky soil.

Great place to scour!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks healthy. Hopefully you get some low buds to cut back to.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When the tree is actively growing, prune the tree down to only one or two pairs of leaves. Removing the apically dominant leader will force the tree to redirect auxin to dormant buds.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm airlayering one for radial root development. And this one even has a tiny watchdog for protection ...😆
I miss seeing these in NC. I know they aren't the best, but they have the smallest leaves of our native maples.

Attachments

• 20210507_170619.jpg
    20210507_170619.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210507_154128.jpg
    20210507_154128.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 14

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice
And I like the guardian too.
that may have been small enough to take a cutting.

Top Bottom