Red Maple Cuttings in progress

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
cut a few of the first leaves to open that were shading the most, mostly from the first and second node.
i pinched out the middle set of leaves as the buds extended on a few shoots like the first left branch and the it slowed the elongation of the node spacing. this tree woke up a lot sooner than the other red maples i have, assuming because of the hard chop i just did before budbreak.
20240413_132247.jpg

the curvy one

20240413_132454.jpg
20240413_132354.jpg

i wired up, repotted, and heavy root edited these cuttings in late October '23, so the only thing we're doing this spring is waiting to cut off the wire. i definitely couldn't have got the bends in that i did if i hadn't wired early. by one year old, the shoot itself is two years old and pretty stiff. my bro science take is repot in fall if you want strong growth the following spring, and repot in the spring to slow the tree down a little.

20240413_132315.jpg

Jrmcmich

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice thread on progression. So looks like you started with standard nursery pot amd switched to basket. What’s your thoughts on what has worked better for your trees?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Elephant foot tree bases are a phenomenal development and look fabulous. And the trees are still at a young age. Well done on all of the trees! Very impressive documentation along the growth trail. Mighty fine!

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice thread on progression. So looks like you started with standard nursery pot amd switched to basket. What’s your thoughts on what has worked better for your trees?
well, we'll see how the root ball looks in spring '25, 2 year repot of the natural style maple. i was going to put it in a pot and expose more of the nebari. give it a smaller particle size. i just started growing them here in this thread, so not much experience. with these first two trees my goal was to create a nice nebari of course, but to also see if i could maintain it, not let it get out of proportion, while growing the trunks to the size i wanted, which isn't very big since i like shohin.

20240419_113254.jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
cut a few of the first leaves to open that were shading the most, mostly from the first and second node.
i pinched out the middle set of leaves as the buds extended on a few shoots like the first left branch and the it slowed the elongation of the node spacing. this tree woke up a lot sooner than the other red maples i have, assuming because of the hard chop i just did before budbreak.
View attachment 540055

the curvy one

View attachment 540107
View attachment 540108

i wired up, repotted, and heavy root edited these cuttings in late October '23, so the only thing we're doing this spring is waiting to cut off the wire. i definitely couldn't have got the bends in that i did if i hadn't wired early. by one year old, the shoot itself is two years old and pretty stiff. my bro science take is repot in fall if you want strong growth the following spring, and repot in the spring to slow the tree down a little.

View attachment 540109
That base on the curve one is just fantastic you should send that to me

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
wire has been on since Nov '23, when i repotted and root pruned. best decision i could have made, as the roots were already doing unfavorable things.

20240425_120713.jpg20240425_120609.jpg20240425_120542.jpg20240425_120759.jpg20240425_120623.jpg20240425_120658.jpg20240425_120645.jpg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks like insulated electrical wiring with a solid core, rather than a cable of multiple finer strands. Where do you buy it? Do you find the copper is soft enough to easily apply the wire? It looks perfect for deciduous trees with smooth bark.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That looks like insulated electrical wiring with a solid core, rather than a cable of multiple finer strands. Where do you buy it? Do you find the copper is soft enough to easily apply the wire? It looks perfect for deciduous trees with smooth bark.
it's copper bonsai wire combined with electrical wire heat shrink wrap. seems to be an amazing combo. i needed that holding power small copper wire brings with the softness of aluminum.

20231108_110005.jpg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
it's copper bonsai wire combined with electrical wire heat shrink wrap. seems to be an amazing combo. i needed that holding power small copper wire brings with the softness of aluminum.

View attachment 542341

Brilliant. That's an Egg of Columbus if I've ever seen one. I feel a bit silly that I never thought to do that myself!

Last edited:
Top Bottom