Red Maple thoughts

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bought this maple in a recent club auction in AVL, I wanted to have a native maple in my collection. I started playing around with the wire yesterday during the rainstorm. Any way what are your thoughts on this tree?20190930_150218.jpg

I decided to put a guy wire from the root to the first major branch and there is a perfect crotch to put it in, I used 3mm wire and tore the skin on the root, so I decided to put some tubing on it since I won't be taking it off in the spring with the rest of the wire. My design choice is to use the guy wire to pull the major secondary branch down some, so that the slant of the main trunk is more prominent and the main secondary is more horizontal. I want to either do a slant or a semi-cascade or even a hybrid style of both. . I also felt the smaller branches block the view of the first split in the middle so I want to bring them down more so that they aren't in the way.
20190930_150225_HDR.jpg20190930_161008.jpg20190930_161044.jpg20190930_160930.jpg

I know its too early to tell on the front but I like the last picture as being it because of the massive scar at the base and also the roots. however I do like the uniqueness of the roots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pull that weed!

I think I'd layer it at the split for an official double trunker. I like the movement that starts there.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I'd layer it at the split for an official double trunker. I like the movement that starts there.
I actually have to agree. From the crotch up has great movement.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I don’t see how you will ratify this with the petioles so long.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Petiole length and internode length are not the same thing.
Internode length is the distance from one bud pair to the next.
Petioles are just the leaf stem that comes off with the leaf in fall.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought it at auction 2 months ago, and was told not to do anything to it until after leaf drop. i am very impatient as you can see. Its actually the oldest tree in my collection currently so I want to keep it as big and long as possible, but I thought the best spot to airlayer is under the mini crotch towards the crown of the tree

Top Bottom